Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what is the best steam cleaner?

earthscratcher ยท 2015-09-15 08:29

need to upgrade to a steam cleaner, just have a power washer now,what are you guys using for a steam cleaner??

Replies12
  1. #1lantraxco2015-09-15 12:31

    What do you need to clean? Steam cleaners are good for melting grease, and cleaning out fuel and oil tanks, but I find that a hot water high pressure washer is best for all around cleaning duties, with the variety of chemicals available to help out.

  2. #2earthscratcher2015-09-15 12:42

    I am going to rebuilding a dozer and a trackhoe this winter just want every thing has clean has I can get before I tear into it. I have a good power washer that I could hook into hot water if need be.guy i know told me a steam cleaner is the way to go,what would be best for my application??

  3. #3Nige2015-09-15 13:18

    TBH if you can make the connections (and if your pressure washer will handle the heat - some won't) I would hook a hot water supply into the feed to your existing pressure washer. It all depends how hot you can get the water.

  4. #4Former Wrench2015-09-15 13:52

    I would consider the hot water with the soap suction hose on the pressure washer instead of the expense of the steam cleaner for only two pieces of equipment. You will come out ahead with the pressure washer unless you are planning on going into the steam cleaning business later.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-09-15 14:01

    Yep, hot water, good chemicals, and pressure will do a much better job in most cases. The right nozzle tip is a huge factor of course.

  6. #6Dickjr.2015-09-15 14:31

    We had a Hotsy that was a good cleaner. It had adjustable temp setting up to steam. Was only 2200 psi but with the steam it worked great. And you can get a sand jetter kit to prep for paint.

  7. #7earthscratcher2015-09-16 08:20

    talked to a guy yesterday that has a northstar electric steam/heat pressure washer,said its the best investment he ever made. I like the hotsy sand jetter idea something always needs repainted around here,anybody have any experience with this sand jetter prep kit.??

  8. #8RobVG2015-09-18 23:18

    Ramtec. Bulletproof, reasonably priced. Can't remember which model I have. http://www.ramteq.com/electric-motor-diesel-burner-portable-vertical-hot-water-pressure-washer

  9. #9Shimmy12015-09-18 23:47

    I'll vote Hotsy. Alladin and Kaarcher are both options as well. One thing I've been told about steamers is they work better for heavy grease and oil removal. Steamers tend to carry the dirt away, while hot water takes more time and water to get rid of it. Steamers are at least twice the money though.

  10. #10earthscratcher2015-09-19 19:22

    well I ended up buying this whitco unit its a 4gallon 3000psi, has a 500 gallon tank, self contained unit,it just has heat no steam.i could not get the water hot enough out of my hot water heater thru my pressure washer.it only has the yellow quick attach tip, what is the best tip for heavy cleaning??

  11. #11JD955SC2015-09-19 22:17

    I wish we had a true steam cleaner. We have a Steam Jenny brand stationary propane fired hot water pressure washer that really sucks. It'd be really nice just to have a better hot water pressure washer. We use 25, 15, and 0 degree tips. The 15 degree tip has been lost for a while now so usually the 25 degree tip. Our weak pressure washer struggles with grease removal.

  12. #12earthscratcher2015-09-20 10:12

    this unit calls for a 4.0 orifice,what about these turbo nozzles any body use one.also this company makes a steam upgrade kit need to call to get a price.