Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the big deal with these hard hats?

Speedpup ยท 2009-03-09 16:42

I see these things go for 200-400+ on ebay what is so special about them. I think I have heard about Bullard Construction Co. http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-MAROON-ALUM...ryZ63909QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Replies20
  1. #1digger242j2009-03-09 17:04

    I don't know whether there was a Bullard Construction Company, but E.D. Bullard is a brand of hardhat. (See the seller's other items.) The three ridges running from front to back are characteristic. I have a plastic one, that's got a lot more miles on it than that one. I wonder what makes that one so expensive? Maybe the color, and the fact that it's aluminum?

  2. #2qball2009-03-09 17:30

    they are really light and comfortable, but i don't believe they are legal anymore.

  3. #3digger242j2009-03-09 17:35

    Man...Google will turn up the story on just about anything.... Bullard hardhats as collectibles.

  4. #4Grader4me2009-03-09 17:47

    I was all ready to go on a rant about the legality of that hardhat...

  5. #5Speedpup2009-03-09 17:53

    Your right that is where I heard Bullard in the hard hat business. I do now remember on the History channel them saying the GG Bridge was the first site for reqiured hard hats. I usually google everything no clue why I didn't do it for this. Anyway thanks. I see some hitting near 400 on ebay

  6. #6digger242j2009-03-09 18:01

    Actually, I have more than just that one. I have a sort of half-assed collection. The one I was referring to is one I wore for a long time. Of Bullards, I have a couple of other plastic ones with company names on them, and one full-brim fiberglass model that was my Dad's at one time. Most of them I got for free, and a few I bought at flea markets or second hand stores. I sure didn't pay that kind of money for any of them. (And unles I win the lottery, I never expect to.)

  7. #7Grader4me2009-03-09 19:45

    Have you ever washed the liners in them?

  8. #8CM19952009-03-09 20:50

    Hey Dig, when you wash 'em be sure and put all of 'em in there together, just don't wash them with any dresses.:stirthepot opcorn

  9. #9liebherr11602009-03-09 21:13

    All i can see is the suspension in the hat ...Ive been on site's that banned the Carbon fibre ,or fibre glass hats because the suspension is riveted in and not integral to the shell where the suspension is snapped in on a rather large or numerous tabs....as most plastic hats are... some say its a weak link in the chain and the hat will fail at those riveted points .. that hat seems to have the same suspension .. and to tell you guys the truth ,,after seeing holes in a concrete truck mixer drum after a transmission failled in a tower crane and some stone from the mix blew through....i somewhat doubt any helmet ..

  10. #10willie592009-03-09 21:17

    Lol, I'd wager if Dig ever washed 'em again...he'd just chunck the whole brain bucket in the warsher!

  11. #11Haul-Pak2009-03-09 21:53

    You cannot put a price of safety but $310 for a bash hat? Must be a collector thingy??

  12. #12digger242j2009-03-09 23:17

    If I ever do wash any of them, it'll be in one piece, in the dishwasher. ointhead

  13. #13Grader4me2009-03-10 05:39

    Hey! I caught that! Gee..I would expect that from my little buddy down under but not from you On the serious side and to get this back on topic..In what year did hardhats have to be ANSI certified? In other words, when did this law come into effect?

  14. #14Squizzy246B2009-03-10 10:03

    Can you get one in pink??

  15. #15CM19952009-03-10 10:25

    Yep - you can even get a matching toolbelt. http://ma.charmandhammer.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PinkKit&Category_Code= It's gonna be hard to do that with this bunch. :cool2

  16. #16Squizzy246B2009-03-10 10:31

    ROFLMAO:lmao:falldownlaugh

  17. #17qball2009-03-10 11:20

    man, i gotta warn you guy's. washing hard hats in the washing machine is NOISY!

  18. #18digger242j2009-03-10 19:46

    Did you remember to take it off your head first? :cool2

  19. #19Grader4me2009-03-10 19:51

    :falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh Good one!! :drinkup

  20. #20CM19952009-03-10 19:55

    Hmmm.....could be why it is so noisy.