Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the difference bewteen a JD160 and a JD160C Excavator?

Heavy Chevy · 2023-09-21 05:34

I just found a JD160 excavator for $18k less than the JD160C I was going to purchase. The 160 has 6000 hrs vs 8950 on the C model. The 160 appears to be plumbed for auxillary hydraulics...the C wasn't; the C model UC is still the original and has broken rollers and not quite sharp sprocket but needs replacing soon. I sent the seller of the 160 several questions that I hope he answers today. I just don't know what/how much the diffference is in the models....looking for some help here to help me in my decision making process. I stumbled upon a 2006 Komatsu PC160 in GREAT SHAPE, clean and much cheaper but in talking with the guy, I missed it by 3 minutes because I waffled on the 109 track width (oversize)...Uggghh! So my sight pattern is now set on either a JD 160 or a Komatsu PC160.

Replies12
  1. #1uffex2023-09-21 06:33

    Good day Attached the specs. You can check the details Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Heavy Chevy2023-09-21 07:33

    Thx so much!!!

  3. #3Diesel Dave2023-09-21 09:31

    Not sure if it is clearly pointed out in the 2 brochures that @uffex posted but the 160LC has an electric over mechanical controlled injection pump and the 160CLC has an electronically controlled injection pump.

  4. #4Heavy Chevy2023-09-21 09:36

    What are the pros/cons to the 160LC electric over mechanical vice the 160C LC?

  5. #5Diesel Dave2023-09-21 09:50

    A con of 160CLC is the engine can go into “derate “ or not run at all if certain engine faults are active. More engine sensors, wiring harnesses and electrical connections to deal with. A pro of 160CLC it has onboard diagnostic capabilities for engine and hydraulic issues. The 160LC has electric over mechanical injection pump so a more simple system. The 160LC has no on board diagnostic capability.

  6. #6Heavy Chevy2023-09-21 10:52

    Thanks a lot for the clarity.

  7. #7skyking12023-09-21 11:05

    you'd have to put a thumb on the 160? Get a price on that before you commit to the idea. Most times it is less expensive to find a machine that already has one.

  8. #8Heavy Chevy2023-09-21 12:17

    The 160 has a mechanical thumb now with plumbing already and pushbutton joystick says the owner....still waiting on the pics of that joystick thumb controls. I see the auxillary lines on the boom and stick. I'm thinking that I could just buy a right size hydraulic cylinder and modify/add the connections to the stick and thumb and have a full hydraulic thunb fo rminimal cost. I'm happy to find a machine already plumbed as I priced out with HKX and HCT hydraulics on their kits...whew expensive!

  9. #9skyking12023-09-21 14:30

    I know this may seem to be a foreign concept, but I would suggest looking for what you want and considering paying more for trucking to get it to you. By the time you dink around with making it almost right, it is the same money and you have a sorta functional thumb machine. Just my two cents and it won't help with the trucking costs

  10. #10Heavy Chevy2023-09-21 15:18

    I hear what you saying and taking all in consideration. This 2003 160LC is selling for $33k has auxillary hydraulics on it now with push button thumb joystick supposedly. Still waiting on pics of the interior cab and UC. Another guy is selling a 2005 160C LC for $58.5k with 7559.3 hrs.......that is a $25.5k difference. Still searching but haven't found anymore 160's with hydraulic thumb and good UC for better pricie. I could take some of that $25.5.k and buy just a cylinder and lil mods to have a full hydraulic thumb.

  11. #11skyking12023-09-21 16:21

    you are just clearing your own place, right? the 120~160's command a premium price because they are tilt trailer moveable, and still get a heap of work done. If I had a single property project of clearing, I would go bigger. It will likely cost you less for similar condition.

  12. #12skyking12023-09-21 16:41

    For example, if this checked out OK by me, I'd have it hauled in, get a fuel tank in my pickup and walk through the property in a fraction of the time of smaller machines, and safer too. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...29/1990-komatsu-pc360-lc-5-crawler-excavators I have a few hours in that generation of Komatsu. I had no complaints as the operator. There are Cats and JD that are similar deals around me, higher time but a serious hooked progressive thumb, matched up to some toothy bucket all set to tear some isht up.