My company won't allow binding down a load from the tracks. What is the proper way to bind down this equipment. And other tips for hauling tracked masonry would be appreciated.
Oops. Machinery not masonry..
What kind of crawler some of the small excavators have tie down points on the track frame and blade if it is a bigger machine you may be SOL. Try to get enough chain around the carbody/track frame/boom to hold it .
Sounds like your safety man couldn't cut it in the field. Typical. Thinks he needs to make the driver's life miserable. All excavators have holes in one end of the undercarriage, some have it in both sides. Another option is they all have holes to access the grease fitting to tighten rails. Come through under the rail/over the frame and hook the hook into the hole. I could name more, but, not to be nasty, if you are in charge of tying down machinery, you should know all this. The only thing that matters is you need 30% more load securement holding backwards than forwards. This usually means 2 chains in front, 4 in the back. Tie down is an art, it helps to have hooks in your binders that will hook over the frame rail. I have binders that have a ½" hook in one end, and ⅜" hook in the other. Good luck.
My excavator has D-Rings welded on the inside of the track frames . http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...Weld-On-1-x-47-000-Lbs-Forged-Mounting-Ring_6
Moved the excavator this morning .
I recently saw a tracked machine that was tied from the inside of track . It had tie down holes and the float had D-Rings on the inside of main beams .. It was nicely done , but I bet the scale masters often red lighted it to look at how it was tied ...
On the dozers I generally do a wrap around the blade arm trunion with chain down to D rings on the trailer . Lock brakes on machine & 7" X 9" wood chocks at the front of the tracks . Plus a chain around the tow hook on the belly pan pulling forward . HeavyEquipmentForums
On some machines we have to put some chains to the pads, there are not enough tie down points on the machine to get the job done, but I do like TD's welded on hooks to the inside frame rail on the excavator, I also like the idea of hooks welded to the inside of the trailer frame rails, I've thought about it, just never yet got around to doing it.