Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the reason?

movindirt ยท 2016-07-20 19:06

Came across this video on youtube, what would be the reason for using this machine rather than a set of scrapers? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhKtUOtsL7M

Replies13
  1. #1hvy 1ton2016-07-20 19:29

    Normally it's haul distance. Only time I saw one in use they were using belly dumps and moving the dirt close to a mile. Could be that self propelled scrapers aren't real popular in that region. I don't know that to be the truth, but that's the impression i get.

  2. #2John C.2016-07-20 20:17

    That thing is basically a twin engine elevating scraper.

  3. #3DIYDAVE2016-07-20 21:12

    could be several reasons, speed, haul distance, price to operate that vs pans, I would say economics at the root...:beatsme:beatsme

  4. #4lantraxco2016-07-20 21:42

    Interesting haul trucks, big yardage.

  5. #5JimBruce422016-07-20 21:44

    Those Holland Belt Loaders can move A LOT of dirt fast. I remember reading that the one Ames had when they did a portion of the Denver Airport loaded 777 belly dumps in a minute and a half.

  6. #6Tinkerer2016-07-21 08:38

    I worked many years for a company that had one. It was different from the one in that video. It could load a 631C scraper with side boards welded on it in 36 seconds. It was like the one in this thread. -> HeavyEquipmentForums

  7. #7DPete2016-07-21 10:11

    That's pretty efficient for big yardage. like water running in a bucket. It's a modern day domoor, not a new concept. They will work their way back and forth across the cut and the cut will stay pretty smooth.

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-07-21 11:22

    That was a deep cut they were taking in the first video. Nice soil in both videos.

  9. #9Tinkerer2016-07-21 17:45

    That was really soft soil in the first video. The ideal cut is in material that will hold a vertical 5 to 6 foot wall. That is how we used to get those high speed loads. It was nasty for the operators though when the wind was blowing very hard.

  10. #10movindirt2016-07-22 19:14

    Thanks for the input guys, I hadn't ever seen one before, I figured it was a one off deal. Looks like in loose dirt or maybe sand it would work pretty good!

  11. #11DIYDAVE2016-07-22 20:10

    and everything old, is new again... https://youtu.be/Dx8wa7JLHbs?list=PL309985263C017753

  12. #12RZucker2016-07-22 21:47

    that is a great vid. Back around '97-'98 I got to work on an old HD-20, just clutch and brake adjustments. But hearing that 6-110 howl when it was working.... That was cool. It had a cable unit with an arch over the nose similar to the double 20's in this vid. Sadly when scrap was 400 bux a ton...

  13. #13Jagjan2016-07-23 21:28

    Will see this video for sure to get ideas.