Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the smallest HP excavator required for building a 6 foot high levee?

toddwesson99 ยท 2012-12-18 09:47

Hello group, I am a farmer with land in a low area near the creek. I have to build a 6-8 foot high levee around the field. The levee is about 4000 feet in total. It will about 10 feet wide. I want to get a smaller excavator (JD 120 size) for all my other general farm work, but don't know if I could build the levee with the smaller machine. Any thoughts? Could I add a 42" bucket with a 1.5 cu yd capacity on this smaller tractor? The ground has no rocks. Thanks for any help. Todd

Replies8
  1. #1powerjoke2012-12-18 10:06

    How far do you need to reach in order to retrieve the dirt to build the levee? Even a mini-ex has a dump height of more than 6' so I'm not entirely sure what the Q' is ....... A deere 120 won't handle a 1.5yd efficiently regardless how wide it is. Looks like a 120 weighs about 26k so you are already too heavy for a pickup/gooseneck so I would guess you have a semi/lowboy so you might as well buy as large as you can transport, you will never be dissapointed with a larger machine Pj

  2. #2Deere500a2012-12-18 10:09

    Morning, price wise & amount of work it may be worth it to look at a 200/690 class 22ton excavator. Good luck

  3. #3toddwesson992012-12-18 10:27

    Don't need to reach far for the dirt. Probably 20 feet. I would haul it around on a 30 ton lowboy w/ semi. What would be the max yard size bucket for a lower hp machine? (70-90 hp) Todd

  4. #4powerjoke2012-12-18 10:32

    Horsepower has very little to do with bucket capacity, you need to concentrate on machine weight not horsepower as this is not a tractor, an excavator is totally hydraulicly powered and all the diesel motor does is run a pump.....nothing else! How much money are you looking to spend ? So there is no way to answer your question but a 120 will handle a 1yd max bucket, depending on stick/boom, whether or not it has a coupler/grabber, thumb or any other weight on the end of the stick etc. Pj

  5. #5toddwesson992012-12-18 10:47

    I was looking to spend around 30K or less. I am going to the richie bros auction in Nashville tomorrow and they have some small and large stuff. Todd

  6. #6powerjoke2012-12-18 11:02

    I tried to pm you but can't, send me an email I may have something that could possibly work for you, we are rolling out one of our 30ton hitachi (same thing as a deere 330) if your interested I can send you pics [email protected]

  7. #7Scrub Puller2012-12-18 12:45

    Yair . . . ten feet wide and six feet high by four thousand feet long even with 1:1's is a lot of dirt to place and compact with a little ex . . . just sayin'. Sounds more like dozer dirt to me. Cheers.

  8. #8buckfever2012-12-18 19:32

    I'd have to agree with Scrub Puller. Sounds like you should be looking for a D6 size or better dozer. If a excavator is what you need for other jobs I would look for a 200 size machine. That machine could swing a 2 yard bucket with no problem, pluse a 27 ton machine can pack dirt pretty good if done in thin lifts.