Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this

oversize ยท 2009-04-20 07:01

I am a member of a towing and trucking forum as well and this picture was posted there it was taken at Kilcoy Queensland Aust, At there show/fair which has a truck show the poster did not know any thing about this other then he was told it is one of only a few in the country , Does any one know what make it is, How old, and what Where they used for. Thank you

Replies13
  1. #1CatSkinner77V2009-04-20 07:33

    not a hot clue! haha it almost looks homemade?!

  2. #2hardtail2009-04-20 09:12

    Looks like an International 500 wheel skidder.....not sure if they did em in house or a second party converted em........

  3. #3cowdogteamroper2009-04-20 11:12

    I think it an jd dozer but someone convert it to a skidder

  4. #4catc152009-04-20 14:26

    yeah i would have to agree that it does look a lot like a john deere dozer that got converted to a skidder. and judging by the way the blade design is and the the hood design is i would venture to guess that it is a late forties to early fifties john deere, possibly one of the 440ies. but then again its just a guess.

  5. #5willie592009-04-20 22:46

    Kinda does have a Deere look. A pic from the front would be good. The only thing I know is it's on a trailer hooked up with a Mack B61. It's a shame they didn't post some pics of the truck as well.

  6. #6oversize2009-04-21 07:39

    they did post a pic of the truck and many more here is the Link to the other post at tow 411 http://tow411.yuku.com/reply/596205#reply-596205

  7. #7surfer-joe2009-04-21 20:05

    That's an International TC5 Skidder tractor. They were made in the mid-sixties and sold to loggers. Came in gas or diesel models. Supposedly they didn't tear the ground up as much as regular crawlers and were to have more traction, but my experience with them was they tore the woods up just fine. The tracks had to be kept real tight or the rubber drive wheel in back would spin inside the track, especially if the ground underfoot was wet. The drive tire was ribbed, the others were smooth. These were all direct drive machines with one reverse gear and I believe, four forward gears. They were supposed to be very good in northern forests where a lot of logging was within swamps or other low spongy ground. I did some logging with a couple and demonstrated some for a dealer I was working for, but they never sold very well and IH discontinued them pretty quickly. I plowed a lot of snow one winter with one too. It did real well at that. They turned hard as hell as they had a lot of track on the ground compared to regular crawlers. I didn't know they sold them down under.

  8. #8td25c2009-04-21 20:14

    That explains the winch and log arch.I was guessing it was a home made unit.Good story & information surfer-joe.

  9. #9BigIron252009-04-21 20:23

    wow, homemade maybe? doesnt look like it could do much.

  10. #10BigIron252009-04-21 20:25

    guess i should have read the all the posts! Good stuff surfer-joe

  11. #11catc152009-04-21 20:57

    international huh i could have sworn that it was a john deere. oh well i've been wrong before.

  12. #12stumpjumper832009-04-21 20:58

    here is another little track skidder off vanattan's site. Its a modified ih 500, here is more info... http://www.vannattabros.com/skidder5.html You will need to look at the bottom of the left colum and click on ih 500 high speed track.

  13. #13oversize2009-04-22 06:45

    Thank you for the info Surfer Joe and every one, I have past the info to the person that took the pic's and have given them a link to come here and have a look, Thank again for you help