I just got a 1981 Champ forklift that hasn't been used in years and when I got it running it started squirting oil out the top of the cylinder when I raised the mast. Can anyone identify what this thing is? It's right below the top of the ram. I'm reluctant to start unscrewing the cap of the cylinder until I know what this is. Thanks View attachment 136783 View attachment 136786
Looks like a locking ring for the head of the cylinder. Rotate the head clock wise and the ring will come out the hole. Then you can pull your head out. Some of those rings I just pulled out with a pair of vice grips.
Funny, that part looks a little nasty, but that's about as easy as it could possibly be for getting an old cylinder apart. Exactly like Cat said, rotate the gland and that will come right out, pop the gland off and take it to a hydraulics shop and they can PROBABLY match up the seals. You just might be working again very shortly for very little money.
Great. Thanks for the fast responses. I built a wrench that uses the existing bolts on top of the ram and just like you said when I rotated it clockwise the locking ring just came out like I was squeezing dough out of one of those pastry bags. Thanks so much. I hope putting it back in is just as easy.