Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this? Found in drain pail

CDNDIESELMONKEY ยท 2018-02-23 21:19

Hello everyone. I am working a fleet job. Mostly CAT, Volvo and some Hitachi and Deere. We have a big drum we use to drain all the engine, trans and hydraulic oils. Today I found this little metal part in the bottom. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks!

Replies21
  1. #1DIYDAVE2018-02-24 06:31

    Looks like some sort of cam follower/plunger, off a pump perhaps...

  2. #2xgiovannix122018-02-24 09:16

    its a doohickey from the thingamabob

  3. #3Vetech632018-02-24 10:28

    I don't know for sure, but that conical spring sure looks like an identical one I found in the steering valve of a CAT 615C.

  4. #4DPete2018-02-24 10:54

    I'd guess bypass plunger

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-02-24 11:08

    I'm thinkin plunger from a Jake brake.

  6. #6Hobbytime2018-02-24 15:17

    Broken!!!!

  7. #7Tags2018-02-24 16:54

    Not good...

  8. #8CDNDIESELMONKEY2018-02-24 19:41

    Everything is working currently but I'm sure we'll find the failure soon enough!!

  9. #9DIYDAVE2018-02-24 20:29

    Iff'n it came out of the used oil tank, coulda come in in some oil from somewhere else, too! Reminds me of a place I usedta work, I would diagnose something wrong in a machine, and they would wait till winter, and get a second opinion from a consulting "mechanic". I would tell him what I thought was wrong, and how I'd fix ti, and then after much "consulting" wif himself, mostly, he'd steal my ideer, and say he came up wif it. Anyway, to get even wif him, when he was doing a "in frame" overhaul (really just a half ass rebuild), I started dropping various items down on him, as he worked under the tractor, in question... Busted rings, ball bearings, injector tips, springs, all stuff I had saved up, throughout the year... Had him pulling his hair out in clumps, on that job...

  10. #10thepumpguysc2018-02-24 23:35

    IF YOU are the only one that uses the drain barrel.. I would be concerned.. IF 5 others are using the same drain barrel, & your equipment runs fine.. let the other guys worry about it.. It SURE LOOKS important tho..

  11. #11Ronsii2018-02-25 00:56

    Anything with a spring on it could've come from across the room ... or DIYDave could be playin' with you... heh heh

  12. #12thepumpguysc2018-02-25 08:11

    LOL.. OH.. the stories I could tell about putting "extra" springs on noobies work benches.. Lol We'd have to start another thread..

  13. #13funwithfuel2018-02-25 11:15

    That reminds me of ol'Loyal. He was a big fella and helped hone my skills back when i was a young'n. Anyway first overhaul ever 100% on my on with no supervision. I had already barred the engine over probably 10x checking for bind, interference etc. All good. I fired that rascal up and here's ol' Loyal in the opposite side of the truck with a small ball-pien tapping the frame slow and steady in time with the engine speed. I shut er down, went through everything, and I MEAN everything. Start her up and he pulled the same crap. Shut it down . Walked up and asked him what he thought. He says lets hear it. I turned the key , beautiful idle and no noise. I'm like ***? He pulls out his little hammer and says, did it sound like this,.... tap, tap, tap......... I use that one every chance I get.

  14. #14xgiovannix122018-02-25 11:18

    haha Im looking forward to this

  15. #15thepumpguysc2018-02-25 12:08

    FWF>> DUDE!!! I swear to God we used to work together??!! I worked w/ a guy here in Charleston, we call "Hairy",[self explainatory] he pulled that crap 100x on people.. I LOVED IT.!!! He got me a time or 2.. "IF" I didn't see him walk up..

  16. #16DMiller2018-02-25 18:26

    Years ago we in the garages I worked would take a ball bearing, just a single ball or a loose spring and drop in a can on someone. Scare them to hell and back. Most of the time the foremen were in on it and would run with it for a time then tell them something like it doesn't belong to that machine, must've fallen out of something else, would ask if they cleaned the drain pan first and so on where they would give up and run the machine with a wince and stutter.

  17. #17DMiller2018-02-25 18:29

    But I can relate with driving a truck into a service bay to replace a seeping oil pan gasket Running FINE, drop pan find a chunk of pushrod, look all over inside and nothing, still all intact, from previous LUCKY road repair with a replaced pushrod(Cummins) and what they could retrieve from pan or off a cambox from top or thru a drain hole removed.

  18. #18DPete2018-02-25 19:16

    Along those lines I dropped the pan on a D8H and found 1/2 of a piston skirt. No telling how long it had been there, apparently it broke a piston and was repaired thru the side of the block covers and they couldn't reach this piece. Didn't hurt anything.

  19. #19crane operator2018-02-25 22:29

    I found a 12pt. head bolt inside the oil pan of a 8.3 cummins, after installing the engine in a crane. We changed oil before we started running it, and I found the bolt. We did a lot of debating about where it came from, and I was a big chicken, didn't want to run it until we found where it came from. Dropped the pan, and the oil pickup tube was hanging by one bolt, the other one was the one I found. We had two of those motors, we dropped the pan on the other motor and both bolts on the oil pickup in it were loose. We really dodged a bullet, by just slowing down and looking for the issue, could have lost both motors if not watching oil pressure and it dropped the pickup. Sorry I don't recognize it, and with multiple equipment using the same pan, its going to be tough, but you better start scratching your head. I'm guessing hyd. or transmission.

  20. #20xgiovannix122018-02-25 22:45

    once I drained oil out of an older n series tractor and heard the oil pickup fall off the motor lol I had a hard time telling the customer what happened..... cause he knew better

  21. #21CDNDIESELMONKEY2018-02-27 10:13

    To make it even more of a head scratcher it also could of come out of a roadtech or Weller shuttle buggy!