https://www.youtube.com/Uhb7XHUypJo Fast forward to 4:30 Sort of a "skid loader" in the water....
Link doesn't seem to work.
Tried several times to post link, every time something put ***** in the line, so I dropped part of link. Follow link, when it crashes at u-toob, copy/paste the characters after ".com/" and it goes.
https://youtu.be/Uhb7XHUypJo?t=272 Greyson
The boats are known as "Log Bronks" and they are used to sort and build log rafts or to break down log rafts and get them up into the sawmill, Many are powered with 4-53 Detroits. They are very deep drafted and tough to sink.
I kinda figured a Detroit (seeing the many dents in the engine cover)... But how do they turn around on themselves ?
The original Nelson "Log Bronc" many others made variations on the theme. Also known as Pond boats. Smaller one man versions had a long shaft outboard in the center on a ring bearing, a very early 360 degree thruster setup.
Thank you for the info, now I have googled the name, and found out answers to the drive system. Back to the regularly scheduled forum (didn't mean to drag it too far off with boats and such)
I always find it interesting how different areas use different names for things. I've always known them to be boom boats, or dozer boats.
Sidewinders were what we called the ones with 360* drive. d.d.
pond boats, maneuverable as hell, great assets to have on certain jobs. usually found in booms at mills