Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What kind of oil to use in AC 816 backhoe?

duramax-rob ยท 2010-03-15 11:13

Hey all, I'm a new member and just bought an Allis Chalmers backhoe with the perkins diesel. I have ordered all the books for it and haven't recieved them yet. I want to do an oil Change first, Does anyone know what kind of engine oil to use in that perkins diesel? I'm assuming that it takes rotella 15-40. Is that the correct stuff. That is what my 01 chevy duramax uses. Any help would be appreciated. I searched this forum and couldn't find what to use. Thanks duramax-rob

Replies4
  1. #1duramax-rob2010-03-16 08:09

    Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have an idea? Thanks

  2. #2Phil2010-03-16 20:41

    I think you are pretty safe with any oil rated for use in diesel engines. I can't remember the code. Lots of those engines used in farm tractors and many go with the 15-40 all year round, in warmer climates. Not sure about using a synthetic oil. Phil

  3. #3tuney4432010-03-16 20:46

    Why don't you call a AC dealer and just ask.

  4. #4duramax-rob2010-03-17 19:52

    Duh!!! I never thought of that. Thanks