I know there's a bunch of threads on the topic but figured I'd start a new one for 2025. Looking for a basic $1000ish laser for basic stuff like culverts, residential building preps, septic systems, etc. Sloping would be nice but not really necessary for this set up at the moment. I see the Topcon and Spectra options, do either do anything measurably better than the other or have some option a guy can't live without? The wild card I'm noticing is Johnson Level. Does anyone own one or are they just a big box store bob the builder brand kind of deal? They have a dual slope model that looks interesting. Acme tool sells them, but so does Menards. The Amazon reviews look good but I don't see much mention of them anywhere else.
Topcon is a solid laser, we have a couple of the RL H4C models. Also have a Spectra GL 622 slope laser that is solid as well. Use the slope feature for laying pipe which is handier than a shirt pocket. If you are installing culverts and pipe a slope laser is worth the $3K or so purchase price. You'll make up the price difference in no time with increased production. Spectra Precision GL622N Dual Grade Laser Get a Spectra Precision GL622N dual slope laser at Capital Surveying Supplies. Perfect for grading and excavation, this laser will not disappoint! www.capitalsurveyingsupplies.com
I have two Topcon dual slope lasers, and a GeoMax 80. I prefer the GeoMax over any of the others I have used. It can spin really fast making it great for machine control, it also quickly grade matches which Topcon sucks at. As my other lasers wear out, I will replace them with the GeoMax laser. I would get a laser that you can get calibrated and serviced.
I have a friend that has a Johnson Level. He seems to get along fine with it. I have a Topcon single slope laser that I bought new 3 years ago. It seems like it is the one that my employee grabs first. It is the only one that I have that has a rechargeable battery pack which I think is why he uses it the most. This is not HEF approved and I will prob get flamed for this but I have bought quite a few used lasers off of ebay for pennies on the dollar and have had good luck with them. When someone backs over one with a dozer it doesn't hurt quite as bad. Currently I also have a Leica 100LR, Spectra LL500 and an AGL EAGL 100. They all work fine. I actually prefer the AGL mainly because if it is real windy and gets shook a little it will only stop for a few seconds to re level then will start back up. If the same thing happens to the Topcon you have to physically go and restart it. This is not a big deal if you are relatively close to the laser but it can be annoying if you are 1000 ft away!!!! Just my $.02
@KSSS I don't know if Geomax stopped making the Zone 80 or if I'm looking for the wrong thing, but the fastest I can find is the Zone 75 with 5/10/15 RPS.
Yes they stopped making it and the 75 is its replacement. The 80 would do 20 RPS. Not sure why they did that. But the Geomax is a great laser.