I suspect the wrong fluid may be in the Clark 285V73 transmission since the PTO was removed and replaced with a cover plate by the PO. It smells/feels like 90w. Someone told me it used ATF??? Anyone know what is recommended for this 5 speed? It's in a 80 F600.
If it's an automatic you can use good 10W motor oil or anything that meets Allison Spec 3 or 4, I believe.
It's a 5 speed manual.
for the clark 5 spd use 90wt gear oil because of the heli-cut gears.trans w/straight cut gears use mineral oil [motor oil] a classic example the roadranger trans. if you use 90wt in a r/r trans it foams up and brgs. don't get proper lube.
Total confusion now Asking around I get two answers for 90wt, two for 50wt and two calling for ATF. Ford dealer says 50wt, book at local auto parts house says ATF for the Allison manual transmission and 50wt for others. No Clark transmission listed. Was the Clark refered to as an Allison in 1980?
I believe 50 wt. mineral oil and 90 wt. gear lube are about the same weight because different standards are used. Some transmissions (like roadrangers) don't like gear lube much. We had Clark five speeds in our old Fords and I'm sure I have a manual somewhere, but from older than 1980. For sure that Clark 5 speed is not supposed to have ATF.
Yea, ATF in a manual did sound odd to me... I just called another truck parts house and he says the book calls for 50wt motor oil. I want to make sure I don't burn it up and I'm pretty sure it has the wrong fluid in there now. It shifts like its got molassas in there... slow.
ATF[automatic transmission fluid!] since your working with a trans thats over 20yrs old talk to someone who has been in the repair field 20/30yrs. and see what they tell you. I gave a quick explanation before Iwill amend it a little ,yes you could use 50wt motor oil in cold areas [snow belt] but in Texas [hot] I [with 35yrs exp. in truck repair] would go with 90wt, 75/95wt, 85/140wt gear lube .
hi, i am ejb i just got on as a member. and i have similiar ? for an akerman h12b excavator. have tried to get service manual & have had no luck. have parts book coming from RUDD equipment but they are not able to get a servie manual. would appreciate any info oil filters oil type gear,hydraulic,torque conv. ect. thanks, ejb