this old girl turned up on site the other day any one know what make she is?,looked all over but couldn't find a name
Try Komatsu D65 or possibly D85 as the hoist cylinders look slightly odd??, what ever it is its a Dog and a half of a chunk of Iron, good photos though Billy.
The owner took the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it" a little to far.
looks like an old Chinese Peng Pu dozer where are these photos taken?
they are taken in Lagos,Nigeria
The turbo/muffler set up points to it being a early model D155a.
It sure looks like this Komatsu D155A-1 http://www.xindaequipment.com/product.asp?id=197 (I just looked up D155a on google images and found these based on what the previous poster said)
Looks like an early Komatsu to me as well.:beatsme Yeah it may be in rough shape but it beats a shovel. I have had the "experience" of trying to get a project done in a developing country as well - you use what you have available. Substandard equipment, poor materials and an unskilled workforce, it's not for the faint of heart.:cool2
CM1995, you are right about beating a shovel! Ive seen first had how building in 3rd world countrys goes. I spent some time down in Honduras with some former family who had a house built. Since the OP is from England, I just guessed it was there.
Sure hope they aint planing on pulling much . There is only 1 nut holding that whole drawbar on !!!!!
i agree komatsu 155a i think the motor is a KTA 1150? cummins, the fuel tank patches are awesome, they must have had to cut it open to get the pack rat family out before they took it to the next job.... ointlaugh
:cool2 ointhead ointheadYer but look at the big-picture Grousers and tracks look brand new
Yair . . . I reckon it says a bit for Komatsu that the old girl is still running under that maintainance regime!!!
I must admit this tractor makes my eyes water, the single bolt holding the wishbone on must be 1'000 grade?? the engine looks to me to be the Komatsu SAD 155 unit as its fitted with a conventional style in-line fuel pump, the blade looks in fair shape though just needing a slight bit of fettling on the cutting edges, at first I though it was a tractor on a site in the U.K. but then I thought we dont have tractors as good as this here??? if it still has a bit of push in it the tractor is hell of a beast.
Says alot about those old girls eh. They were a bloody good tractor, my old boss had one that had a chain hanging of her ass most of her life in some of the thickest timber and steepest country anybody has ever seen. She had a bad radiator leak at one stage and for quite a few weeks we would just pull up at the cattle trough in the morning and fill jerry cans full of mossy water to keep her going through the day. Never missed a days work. He was not the sort of bloke to spend $$ maintaining equipment, just drive her till she breaks. I remember filling the final drives with liquid grease as well just to get some more life out of her!! She ran like that for years.... Makes me cringe when I see alot of blokes knocking the Komatsu brand as I have had quite alot to do with there dozers, excavators and loaders over the years and from what I have seen they make a good product.
I look at this old tractor and see a lot of relations to a Cat D-8H. Looks like they copied a lot from the Cat machine. Looking at the face of the blade, it is worn down a bit, as you can see the ridges from the inner supports, but it is only patched in the corners, and does not appear to have ever been reskinned. Most Cats as old as this have pushed enough to need the blade skinned a couple of times. That said, with the total disregard for maintenancve that it apparently gets, it is pretty impressive that it has lasted this long.
It was once said that the first version of the D155 was a pretty much direct copy of a D8H and that the relevant Cat parts were a direct fit in a lot of areas of the early Komatsu D155's and vice versa for Komatsu parts on a D8H. Not sure how true that was.
The D125A was a dead ringer for an early D8H, and they certainly looked as though you could swap parts from one to the other, I remember it being said at the time that it looked like a good case for patent infringement.
I think we should really thank Komatsu for there product... Because without Komatsu, Caterpillar would not be making the quality equipment it is today. As for it being a copy of the D8H, if you have ever seen the final drive parts from both sitting on a bench you will know that is just an old wife's tale.
Check out how many Broken exhaust bolts it has in the Manifolds. I think those engines were an early relation to the Cummins NTA855 or early N14.....????
The 855 only stands at 14 litres cylinder capacity with PT fuel system, the SAD155 motor fitted to the 155 tractor is 19.5 litre= 320 hp, they both sport 3 cylinder heads and both run 4 valves per cylinder, but I dont think there is anything that looks like a Cummins in the 155 engine build, there is no truth in the story's that the CAT and the Komatsu tractors parts are even remotely close or will interchange, but I have fitted a 155 Blade to a D8, plus I have fitted a CAT 31E CCU to a Koma 155,I have also seen a few D8K's fitted with Komatsu CCU's, but they are not simple bolt on fitments and need a bit of brain ache to sort.
So much for the 10 years old and out thing as well as an annual machine inspection which is going around on some of the other threads here.
Maybe I was recalling the early D85A..... I was sure they had 855 Cummins commonality. Was the 19.5 Litre a relation to the early K19???
My thoughts are the 155 motor was a Komatsu effort, the turbo I know was Komatsu built, the engine had 3 cylinder heads with 4 valves per cylinder oil spray jets under the pistons, the fan was mounted like a D9G fixed into the rad section, these motors would spit the dummy out any day ending with a Y, I did an amout of work for a C'o that ran 3 of these beasts, I must say it was a sharp curve to be a master of them, the core plugs between the heads and the block would rot out every year, if water hit the Cam-shaft from them then the cam and followers would be scrap fast, then if you left them parked up for over a month or so the valve springs would loose the will to be springy?resulting in valves hanging out of the wrong places,every oil change had its own majic moment when you found a piston spray jet half way out the drain plug hole, the tractors they were bolted into was to be fair reasonably good, the best bit was the Torque Flight transmissions, simple to repair with just a few basic spanners and a pair of C-clip pliers, the final drives would sometimes blow the nut off the end of the dead shaft, or worse still need a new shaft, they had to be frozen in L/Nitrogen to poke em home, the rest of the tractors was as good or as bad as any other D8 sized chunk of iron, I realy liked the transmissions they ran very smooth without any howling, but I cannot think the engine had anything to do with the KTA? 19 Cummins as they would make the 155 look crap, the same basic block was also fitted into the 235 255 and I think the 355 with all sort of bells and whistles hanging off its back to make it more troublesome. p.s. I loved the D85 tractors with the Cummins parked in the middle of the frame, a great chunk of iron that could earn some good money and take a load of hammer.