Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What makes the best operator/worker?

FarmerAlex ยท 2011-11-16 19:48

G'day all, i was just wondering what people look for in their workers? What makes them something out of the bag? When i'm at work, the number one thing is to be 10 mins early, buy a bottle of window cleaning spray, and have all the windows clean and make sure everything is ready to go when you are asked to start working. I would imagine what makes a good worker also is that when things start to go wrong, they can still continue to maintain a reasonable production rate, and that they can think for themselves to further increase production rates. What are your thoughts?

Replies19
  1. #1ramheadjim2011-11-16 20:41

    somebody who has heart and likes what they are doing

  2. #2pointrow2011-11-16 20:59

    Someone that safety is automatic and concentrates on getting the job done not what is keeping the job from being done. later pointrow

  3. #3Dinale Precast2011-11-17 04:59

    The best operator is the one that has to repair the machine when things go wrong.

  4. #4RonG2011-11-17 06:33

    They need to be hungry...LOL.Ron G

  5. #5CaseFan132011-11-17 12:45

    One that when 5:00 comes around they aren't the first one to leave.

  6. #6CM19952011-11-17 18:57

    What makes a good operator - that's a like opening Pandora's Box. What I think makes a good operator: Knowledge A genuine interest in the profession Understanding and performing top quality work Character (yes a little humor is always welcome on the jobsite ) The will to work and work hard Willing to jump in with a shovel or a wrench if need be Expecting to be paid according to their ability A genuine concern for safety Understanding that the project has to be profitable and they are an integral part of the equation Last but not least - Understanding that one of the most important aspects of this business is a satisfied customer.

  7. #7BDFT2011-11-17 23:59

    What CM1995 said. Someone who treats the machine like he owns it never hurts either. I've worked with too many guys whose attitude was "Who cares, its not my machine."

  8. #8NoCrapmatsu2011-11-18 00:12

    Me as a young operator can only gain advice from this thread. But when my boss left me in charge for a few days with a new guy I noticed what bothered me, and what made me feel he was worth it. Being on time at the least Maintaining his machine on schedule (AT THE END OF THE DAY!) Comfortable in the machine, sometimes a guy will not work the machine to its capability and be a waste, which is better than the other end of the spectrum but still detrimental Not afraid to stay late, or come in on time off. We had a guy who had to leave early one day for the CFL playoffs of all reasons:Banghead Has common sense. And above all can't be against certain brands of equipment

  9. #9Randy882011-11-18 04:52

    I think the most important thing that has been left out is to have a functioning brain, can think for himself and be where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there and do what he's supposed to do when he's supposed to do it and can think for himself enough to handle most situations. You know have some common sense and anybody who could run their own business and represent themselves on a daily basis and make it sucessfully on their own would be an ideal employee. Most who are looking for work don't and can't understand this simple statement, anyone who doesn't understand it, you really don't want to hire in the first place, let someone else babysit them and hold their hand the rest of their life.

  10. #10robin yates uk2011-11-20 11:12

    I agree on all points made and someone who never comes to work drunk! Or drugged. I have seen lots of cannabis smokers in the UK,, waste of time in all respects

  11. #11Cliff2011-11-20 11:16

    Problem solvers........not problem makers.

  12. #12grandpa2011-11-20 13:53

    Give me a farm boy any day.

  13. #13bigshow2011-11-20 18:48

    Someone that is an asset and not a liability.

  14. #14alrman2011-11-21 17:11

    As a repairer, I have seen all types of 'operators'. A good one will of course have a good work ethic & make the machine move as smooth as silk. A real good one uses all his God given senses. They - Smell - oil & coolant leaks, even a hot engine or tranny / brakes. See - oil trails on the ground & notice cracks & unusual metal flake around pins & bushes / track chains. Hear - any noises that are not normal. Feel - any vibrations that are not normal Then a real good operator STOPS, BEFORE things get real ugly & expensive. Amazes me how some guys can experience some of the above, & they just keep on going till the old girl stops dead. PS - no one should TASTE anything to do with machinery...........

  15. #15Dinale Precast2011-11-21 20:17

    Amazes me but also doesn't surprise me. I look after a precast concrete yard and amongst hand tools, I have to look after 9 gantry cranes, two trucks, a forklift, scissor lift, company vehicles and a mobile RT crane. I can stand outside the door of my office and just by listening I can tell a crane needs to be looked at, simply by the change in pitch of the noise, a new noise or even the lack of a noise. For instance if I don't hear a clunk as the hoist brake releases on a particular crane I know it needs looking at asap before it blows fuses. Every time we have a toolbox meeting I have to keep reminding the guys, 30-40 off, that as soon as you hear a noise you don't recognize or the noise changes come and get me asap. Just yesterday I could hear a compressor cycling in the background almost constantly. I go for a walk and find the hose is split and needs to be re-terminated. I then also ask the guy why the ***k you didn't bother to tell me, or anyone else about this problem that took all of 1min to repair. I wont even bother telling you the myriad of responses that I have heard over the last 12yrs. You can bet your bottom dollar if it were their car that was making a weird noise they would be onto it asap. They don't own the equipment or have to pay to repair it? what do they care ?!?!?

  16. #16Jdigger41302011-11-21 21:41

    My two cents as an employee and not an business owner (yet!) is more along the lines of the kind of guy I am going to work FOR! If someones A micro managing ego maniac w an inferiority complex (type) I run not walk away! I also think that there is always room for A guy that actually wants to work as was mentioned. Ya can't teach A fella passion! I like trading money for hrs worked myself so I like guys that keep ahead and have A project around that pays! I have enough hobbies and interest OUTSIDE of work that do not get enough attention so A manager/supervisor that has done HIS homework to keep the chaos that comes from building is kept too A minimum and on time is cool w me! That goes for coworkers too!

  17. #172stickbill2011-11-22 14:32

    The operators who keeps the dingle berries cleaned off the bosses rear.That is the way it was on my last job.

  18. #18FNick2011-11-22 17:35

    I appreciate employees with good work ethic (aren't just waiting for 5 'o clock) and who truly enjoys what they do. I like when they come to me right away with problems instead of trying to fix them themselves. (I've had people mess things up pretty bad before) And people who aren't afraid to take blame when there is a problem.

  19. #19Boss2011-11-28 15:18

    -Someone who can take orders( So many just can't understand that the owner/foreman can give you orders, they are not being rude just want the job done) -Someone who comes early and leaves late, and doesn't complain- -Someone who works 15 mins after his shift, and doesn't always take time( it will always come back to you)- -Someone who is an operator, but isn't scared to be a mechanic or laborer- -Someone not against working an afternoon or midnight shift-