Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what model or even just brand is this.. Dragline? Crane?

Will J ยท 2024-11-14 10:10

Hello everyone, there is a image on my town's website captioned '2 steam shovel at canal 2' (that is visibly either a dragline or crane, not a steam shovel) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the make/model? this is also the only photo i can find of said machine

Replies17
  1. #156wrench2024-11-14 10:14

    No idea on the make or model but i suspect its using a clam bucket

  2. #2HATCHEQUIP2024-11-14 10:16

    Well seeing 2 hoist lines and no drag cable im going to say its running a clamshell bucket

  3. #3HATCHEQUIP2024-11-14 10:16

    ya beat me to it 56

  4. #4DDoug2024-11-14 10:26

    ...and coal....lot's of coal.... Could be several different makers, back then they all sort of looked similar.

  5. #5Nige2024-11-14 11:22

    They were all called "steam shovels" back in the day, whether they were actually equipped as a shovel, dragline, crane, or grab.

  6. #6Will J2024-11-14 14:34

    alr

  7. #7Will J2024-11-14 14:34

    yea thats what i was assuming

  8. #8Tinkerer2024-11-14 15:43

    It has a clam bucket in the cut. I can see the top of it. If it had a fair-lead on it with a drag cable it would be called a dragline. I wish the clam was visible in the air. I would like to see how big it is. Too bad the lettering just below the roof in the middle of the house isn't legible. It would give a clue to what it is. Perhaps some research on the construction of the Huber Canal would reveal the owner or builder of it.

  9. #9Vetech632024-11-14 18:44

    Bucyrus Erie maybe

  10. #10Tyler d4c2024-11-14 20:07

    What ever it is it needs a parked regen by the looks of it!

  11. #11JaredV2024-11-14 20:37

    It's either Bucyrus Erie or Marion. If I had time I'd dig out my books in storage but probably won't. I'm pretty sure it's a dragline. It was pretty common to use a two or three part hoist and I see three lines coming down. I see something sticking out at the boom foot with a faint line coming off sticking down at an angle that looks fairlead to me. It looks like the bucket is laying on the far bank pointing down and I can see something that looks like an arch.

  12. #12HATCHEQUIP2024-11-15 08:15

    Agree the cut looks like it was made by a drag just never seen a 2 part line on a drag , as far as the fairleed and cable and bucket ya got better peepers than me.

  13. #13HATCHEQUIP2024-11-15 08:18

    Another thing was that coal or could it have been oil fired ?

  14. #14DDoug2024-11-15 08:23

    I've only seen coal fired at the antique show, if there was an oil fired, I would suspect it would not be smoking so much.

  15. #15Hank R2024-11-16 19:57

    It is a Dragline I enlarged it and it is a 1920 before they became Walking Draglines they were mounted on skids and pulled they self's around by there bucket. in the 30's walking draglines came. got information from Bucyrus book. Not sure as to make with not sure of where operators cab is on Left or right side. Need more time.

  16. #16Hank R2024-11-16 21:05

    This one is in Alberta and have seen it. The one in question could be very close to this one. Unique 1917 Bucyrus Class 24 steam dragline saved | Heritage Machines Keith Haddock recounts his involvement in the rescuing, moving and restoring a unique, 1917 Bucyrus Class 24 steam dragline. heritagemachines.com

  17. #17HATCHEQUIP2024-11-18 08:48

    Thanks Hank that was a good read