Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What options are there for cutting trees with excavator (8 tons – cat 307).

mawrick ยท 2013-04-19 16:35

Anyone got any info on what equipments is available for tree cutting ?. Also what are such things called in english ? (not my native language)...

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2013-04-20 00:01

    Directional feller head, Feller buncher head, Felling head, Harvestor head, Processor head, Tree shear, etc. The list goes on, lol.

  2. #2norite2013-04-20 03:00

    Here we call an excavator with a hydraulic saw head a feller buncher. Usually they come with a custom boom and are equipped with clamps to hold the tree after the saw cuts it off until the machine can swiing around or travel the tracks to lay the cut trees in a pile. But you know all that already, right? My thought is that it must be small trees if you are going to use an 8t machine. Perhaps one of the processor heads might work better for you, they cut the tree and let it fall while still holding it. Then they draw the tree through delimbing claws and cut it off to a specific length (8-16 ft)after having swung it over the wood pile. The process repeats until the tree is used up. Check out you tube, lots of different logging setups shown on there.

  3. #3kiwi450x2013-04-20 16:51

    I'm not that au-fait with the topic but with a base machine that size I would be looking more towards a tree shear. Basically you'd be looking at a clamp to grip the tree and a ram pushes the shear though to cut it off. I believe there's a machine around here that does that but it's on an old 20 ton base and I have to confess, I haven't paid any attention to it.

  4. #4Mylucky242013-05-19 18:42

    I have a buddy that put a Marshall tree saw on a full size excavator. Working on getting some pictures from him. Also the guy I work for, his father is a dealer for Marshall, he could probably give you more information if you'd like. PM me if you'd like his number.

  5. #5mawrick2013-05-19 18:44

    Thanks for the offer - but I'm located in norway, so no need.... and would guess maybe the 8 tons machine are a bit too small for this

  6. #6jack3452013-05-20 00:32

    Not really, but it does depend on size of trees you are working.Your machine should handle a 2-3 ton tree.

  7. #7mawrick2013-05-20 16:36

    Alright - I'l look into it more later as it's not season for it at the moment, but good to know, as the tree's won't be that big, so might be an option eventually

  8. #8BDFT2013-05-21 11:07

    Norway, Finland and Sweden should be full of companies that can supply some sort of directional falling head. They practically invented small stem selective harvesting.

  9. #9mawrick2013-05-22 02:54

    hehe - your right, there should be infos here localy - just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had experience with it on an 8 tonner thnx again for the feedbacks