Hi ya all, What's the best and longest range Laser Distance Meter? Reliable Accurate Long distance Easy to use Heavy duty Reasonably priced Thanks
Just found a Leica Disto D8, it measures unto 656' or 200 meters which is good for me but it is way too expensive $799. Any one know of similar range at a reasonable price?
I have a hilti version, accurate to 1/6" over 600 feet, but it too is a $600 tool, at least it was when I get it about 6 years ago
I found a *PD 40 Laser range meter, for around 320$ is that what you got?
We have a Lieca 1600. it too is about $800 but it's got a 1600yd range to it http://www.opticsplanet.net/leica-r...integrated-intelligent-ballistic-program.html Pj
How does it work in open sunny glazing outdoors? Does it need two peaople to operate it, like one on each side of the measuring distance? or do aim it at a point on the ground or something?
it is good enough that if you have a basket ball size (could be smaller if you were steady) object.....it will measure it unbeleivable acurate, if you point it at the ground while standing it is hard to figure out where it's hitting but is still acurate. well, that didnt make any sense so i'll try it again, I have never had a problem with it in the sunny hot weather, we use ours while prarie dog hunting in the vast open areas of south dakota, most of the time the thing wont even read as it only goes 1600 yd lol. but if you start scanning inward, just as soon as you hit 1600yd or less it will pick up and start reading out for you.....it's crazy how acurate it is. if you have a tree or something to lean against and another tree to shoot to it is 100% accurate, otherwise its only as good as the operator pj
Thanks PJ but I think the Lieca 1600, is not as suitable for my as other types of distance measures that have self leveling and compensation fop tilted aims. I am thinking more of a Trimble or Hilti, or something made for construction industry. I think the Lieca is more recreational.
Hmmm well: always remember you get what you pay for,I did say in another thread that if you want accuracy then get yourself a Total station.I use a measuring wheel for roughing out, http://www.pittman.ie/Rotosure_nedo_trumeter_road_measurer_rd1000.aspx For marking out we use the total station off a TBM (temporary benchmark) or Gps depending on accuracy required.One can get carried away with gadgets but a good measure wheel,a good steel tape (catII) http://www.starrett.com/download/359_cat_70_p74_76.pdf Plenty of 500mm steel pins and mushroom caps,profiles,batter rails,a traveller and line coupled with a good dumpy level http://www.survequip.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=dumpy+level The cheaper ones will be accurate up to 1000m out and back...... Keep it simple until you get experience then look at your gagets.
I had a look at the Hilty 42, and it was worthless, couldn't get a straight reading out of it. Still looking...
I have used the Spectra Precision HD150 by Trimble. It is fast and accurate, but I haven't used it past a few hundred feet, though. http://www.trimble.com/hd150.shtml Neil 3D machine control resource
Spectra/Tremble LL600 and a CR500 receiver. Just a real good all around Laser.
I have just got myself a Leica D8 and I think it was well worth the money for all the features it has. The triangulating function for distance and area is amazing. Also has blue tooth and a whole heap of useful functions for an earthmover. The ability for it to measure perfect horizontal measurements on a slope is the main reason I chose the D8. That and I am so sick and tired of walking 30meters only to have my tape come off the peg it was attached to.
Maybe you should try this one: http://www.industrial-needs.com/measuring-instruments/laser-distance-measuring-meters.htm Very happy with those and good value for money.
Did ya ever end up finding one or did ya buy a longer tape measure? From what I can see you pay for the distance a laser can measure, for example Bosch make measures from 40-250 meters and they go up in pricefrom 200 - 500. So I guess if you need distance youpay for that.
If your measurements need to follow the Earth's surface, and do not have to be ISO certified, nothing beats two legs to step off the distance. Calibrate your legs to either meters, or yards. A tool that I have used to layout field drainage, and measure field sizes, and fences, is Google Earth standard. It is quite accurate. Once the path is snapped to the Earth's surface, you can get a contour length, and also take a section view to measure the distance above sea level along the path. Their is also the wheel measuring tools if the ground is fairly even. Regards, Bob
I have no knowledge of the type of instruments you're looking to buy but it amazes me that people are prepared to pay in the $600-1000 range for something like a smart phone or a digital camera, yet when it comes to a piece of precision tooling needed to make the job run smoothly the same price range is "too expensive". There must be a convoluted logic there somewhere but I'm afraid I can't see it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
x2, buy the best you can afford and look after it, that's what I was always told
Some of the reluctance, stems from the great unknowns. What if it is too much trouble to set up, or I can not figure out how to use it, or it does not make me rich? Another reason may be that you can't wear it on your wrist to a party. A pc, either desktop, or laptop, is obsolete by the time it gets hooked up. As was said, do your homework before the purchase, and ask for a complete demo before grabbing the check book, to insure the greatest chance of receiving value for the money spent/invested. Regards, Bob
i found this to be a bit odd myself. i am a layout foreman/operator for a foundation company. the package deals put together by retailers like amazon are some crazy deals for the equipment that used to fetch 2500$ and now can be had for 500-700$. youre highth is the definitive of dirt work. to get in the game at that price point is money well spent IMO
Disto in Lichtenstein were a company that innovated this technology. They were later bought out by Leice Geosystems of Switzerland but not so fast. Bosche and Hilti were private labeling the Disto until the rights on the technology were expired. They quickly found Chinese solutions to label with there prospective and popular names. IMO the best solution at the moment is the Lieca Sprinter 50 which gives distance and elevation. and records it into memory for USB download later. drawback? it needs to be on a tripod because of precise wire hung compensator and 300ft range only. Dont muck with the handheld toys , for a bit more you have so much more. And always remember who is the expert. I just want to give you guys the best advice. I truly am the the best person on the planet at the moment for this advice, and to prove it, it free advice.
What year did Hilti stop distributing the Disto made lasers? Is there a way to tell from the serial numbers?
I am thinking around 2004. Yes the serial number would reflect the exact information you are looking for. Go here http://ptd.leica-geosystems.com/en/Feedback-Form_5620.htm and fill in the blanks. Hilti also had lasers made by Topcon in Tokyo from about 1998 until 200? And now all there lasers, survey instruments are made in China. Check the label. Sometimes they will use something clever like made in PRC (peoples republic of China) Not (Pine ridge California)