So I was just wondering where the most jobs are right now. I've been on the road for the last 6 years but Im getting tired of it so I'd like to find a place and settle down. Any info is greatly appreciated.
I would say that it ultimately depends on the type of equipment jobs you had in mind. Houston isn't too bad, and living expenses are rather cheap there, too. A good win-win in both scenarios. Albeit it's a competitive market, if you have the experience i'm sure you could land a good job there.
The Charleston SC market is WIDE OPEN right now.. EVERY construction Co is hiring drivers, Laborers & operators & mechanics.. MAJOR projects going on NOW.. The Volvo truck plant is going up in Ridgeville, the hi-ways are being widened & new exit ramps going in all over the place.. They're building a new R/R line in & out of there also.. There's "TALK" about making the "orange cone" the state symbol.. instead of the Palmetto Tree.. lol
Indiana also has lots of work and every contractor is looking for operators and mechanics.
Houston and Texas in general is pretty hard to beat. The wages are generally lower than other places but the cost-of-living is a lot lower as well. Operators get $13-25 in Houston, but you can buy a house for $100k. Are you self-employed what's the name of your company?
For specifically heavy equipment repair, lets say CAT. Bay Area pays really well, but then you have to live in the Bay Area.