Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the going rate for hauling aggregate?

Dollar Bill ยท 2009-01-13 13:32

Sand and gravel. Are you getting billed for loaded miles, the load, per hour of operation? If you're hauling it, how are you billing it out?

Replies22
  1. #1thejdman042009-01-13 14:20

    Most around here are 75 an hour

  2. #2Dollar Bill2009-01-13 14:44

    I'm assuming that's for a 2/3 axel dump? What about tractor/trailer end dump/belly dump configurations. I'm assuming that would make a difference due to the larger capacity.

  3. #3gonzo502009-01-14 00:41

    Hello, We're getting about $75-85/hr here in San Diego for ten-wheel dump trucks.. About $5-10/hr more for end-dump. Sometimes end dumps can't get where a ten-wheeler can. George

  4. #4Copenhagen2009-01-14 14:47

    Getting $65/hr around here for a tandem. Sometimes the more difficult jobs pay a little more, but its pretty rare.

  5. #5honest outlaw2009-01-14 20:58

    triaxle around here upstate S.C. 60-75 according to how much how long and how many:beatsme:Banghead

  6. #6busdrivernine2009-01-14 23:57

    Here in NE Texas it is rangeing from $45.00 to $65.00 per hr and if you are lucky they pay you 1 hr driving time to work and back home this is on a tandem axle. I used our truck with the pup the other day and it was 101 loaded miles and we bid $600.00 a load this included the cost of the material which was about $145.00 per load . we hauled 12 loads and I am not greedy but which we had about a two month of that kind of hauling .

  7. #7Dualie2009-01-14 23:58

    Around here i talked to a guy that said he was getting 10 wheelers for $45 AN HOUR!!! talk about rate cutting IDIOTS. you couldnt get me to answer the phone for $45 an hour let alone fire up the truck and run the tires off. GOOD LUCK RATE CUTTING IDIOTS YOUR GOING TO NEED IT!

  8. #8busdrivernine2009-01-15 00:08

    What is crazy is they finaly got the rates up here when fuel was really out of sight in price but man when the fuel prices dropped so did the rates ! construction co near here went from $55 down to $50.00 and about 1/2 the contractors left so this co let all the contractors go and if he neds truck all he wants to pay is $45.00 he could not get anybody so he went and bought some more bobtails and is doing all his own hauling . More power to him is all I have to say . And they do not pay driving time or show up time either.

  9. #9thejdman042009-01-16 12:05

    Thats for a semi 5 axle dump. tandems get 65 an hour. there are a few minorities running around here that run without proper insurances etc running 40-45 an hour with tandems

  10. #10rino14942009-01-16 12:23

    Tri-axles here get $80-85/hr

  11. #11Greg2009-01-16 22:39

    Quads around here were getting 65 an hour last summer with fuel at its worst. Can't even turn the key for that but there were people doing it. My quads only go out when I need them on my own jobs now where I can bid them in at what they should be.

  12. #12sandnsnow2009-01-17 22:33

    Our solo 15 ton trucks are getting 85-90, transfers are 100-105 34ton and end and belly dumps are 90-100 a hour. I cant run a truck myself for 45 an hour. That wont even pay the payment or insurance, fuel, tires oil ect. Are you guys nuts!!!!

  13. #13Kgmz2009-01-18 15:49

    We are about the same as "sandnsnow" above. 85-90 for a solo with 1 or 2 lift axles, 4 or 5 axle truck 110-130 for a truck and pup 8 axles total or transfer As for tandem trucks/3 axle trucks, no one hires them around here. Except for maybe small homeowner loads or hauling bark for homeowners. Recently in the last couple of weeks and a few months ago we got a really good rate for solo trucks from the USACE. We got 110 a hour, 16 hours a day hauling rock to rebuild the dikes in the flood areas.

  14. #14Greg2009-01-19 09:39

    to "sandnsnow" Yes, they are nuts and headed for the poor house along with it.

  15. #15Red Bank2009-01-19 21:07

    I ran three loads of rock for my neighbor Friday, charged him $200, it took about three hours from start in my driveway to finish. Three loads @ 15 tons each. I hauled two loads of horse manure/used shavings on Saturday, took about two hours and had to use my loader to load , charged $160, took into account lower weight, plus getting rid of the manure helps me. Do I seem to be in the ballpark? I mostly try to stay around $60 an hour, but the way I haul I usually charge on a per trip basis. I try to use the hourly rate as a guide for charging per trip. Is there a better way of doing this?

  16. #16sandnsnow2009-01-19 22:24

    Red Bank, did you have to buy the rock or did he? It sounds like your in the ballpark for that if he bought the rock. Getting rid of stuff and making money is a good thing. no matter how much you make. :drinkup. Your on track as how you charge. Some guys who only haul rock go by the ton. I try to do this on jobs that are in the 1000's of tons and close because its too hard to get a accurate amount for a foundation that I did'ent dig or a parkinglot I did'ent prep. Around here 2.50 to 3.00 per ton. It still equals out to about the average rate taken into account time and distance. But ya, most of the time its by the hour and for a 3 axle I pat you on the back for staying busy.:usa

  17. #17Red Bank2009-01-20 18:17

    Yes, he paid for the rock on his own account. I think that around here if I had a tri-axle I could get more work for it, but for now the way I run this tandem I guess I am doing good, checked over last years receipts and noticed I made pretty good money hauling mulch in the spring and early summer, I hope that happens again this year! I just run this truck on Fridays and Saturdays and feel that last year was definitely worth having the truck. Although Saturday after I parked the truck I got the insurance bill out of the mailbox

  18. #18Raildudes dad2009-01-21 17:32

    My employer (the local county highway authority) took bids in October for trucking for the calendar year 2009. We take bids so we can hire a trucker on short notice (all the bidding or quoting is done already). There are no guarantees for any hours. The bids were as follows: 18 ton tri-axle $67 - $78 / hour 28.5 ton tractor trailer $84 - $100 / hour 51 ton tractor trailer with pup $105 - $130 / hour 20 ton quad $71 - $85 / hour 6 bidders, 2 didn't bid 18 or 20 ton trucks. It's a mix of union / non-union companies and company owned and brokered trucks.

  19. #19wingman2009-04-11 00:12

    Cheap Haulin All you guys workin $45-75 an hour are the reason rates stay low. If you would charge $90 or better and actually make a profit after buying tires, fuel, insurance, drivers wages, etc...WE COULD ALL MAKE MORE MONEY!

  20. #20Dualie2009-04-11 01:11

    WELL SAID!!! :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup And i cant stand the dudes that use the excuse that their equipment is paid for. Apparently they haven't figured out that nothing lasts forever

  21. #21eRay2009-04-11 20:49

    I just had 300 tons of rip rap ( 4 to 12 inch ) rock delivered about 25 miles. They hauled it in loads of 20 - 23 tons. Charged $3.50 per ton to haul it. Funny thing is, I got some back when fuel was $4.00 a gallon and it was the same $3.50 per ton. Don't know how they make much money at that, but they were using 3 brand new trucks so they must come out on it.

  22. #22busdrivernine2009-04-11 22:39

    If i figured it right that makes the run pay $3.22- $3.50 per loaded mile or about .14cents per ton mile The market for owner operator bobtail dump trucks is becoming few and fewer someof the contractors are not using indepent operators you have to lease with a main hauling contractor . You operat under their Authority and have to put their signs on your truck and you can not do any extra work without it going through them and for the privilliage of being able to work they only charge you an mear 13% of revenue the rate for bobtail work is $55.00 per hr then you take the 13 % off and that leaves you with $47.85 per hr just shoot me ointhead sounds like a lot of underhanded crap to me . What the sad think is that they have the work and most everybody else is sitting dead in the water . Anybody want to buy a truck:Banghead