Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the poop on the front wheel drive shaft zerk?

emmett518 ยท 2021-10-04 17:29

On my 2015 Deere 310L, there is a 1/4 inch, zerk on the driveshaft that connects to the front axle near the transmission. The one that was installed is straight up and down, so you have to have the shaft in a certain spot to give access to the grease gun lock n lube. I decided to replace it with a 45 degree zerk so I can access it no matter how the driveshaft is oriented. Deere parts looked it up, and they gave me a 1/4 inch replacement. When I went to remove the straight one, and install the new, it's as if the threads are stripped out. The zerk just spins with not much friction. Put the old one back in, and it's the same. The zerk is not tight. I did not torque the hell out of any of the zerks. I was using a tiny open end wrench. Plus, I'm guessing that the steel drive shaft is pretty hard, and not likely to strip out. Any advice? Is it easy to remove the shaft without removing front axles so I can enlarge the hole for a larger fitting, or is there a way to put something to fix the threads? Or should I leave the zerk in there, and zap it with a MIG welder to lock it in? Or leave it be, and just watch it to make sure it doesn't fall out?

Replies12
  1. #1funwithfuel2021-10-04 19:23

    I would screw it in by hand, clock it with the wrench and see if greasing will blow it out. If it does, i would clean everything up spotless and try again using CAT bearing and sleeve mount and the correct primer. That stuff has done magic for me in the past.

  2. #2JL Sargent2021-10-04 20:48

    It's a crazy world. You would like to think they gave you the right one. What if it's actually tapped metric and both of those are standard and wrong?

  3. #3skyking12021-10-04 21:14

    it depends on the aminals in your pasteur. If you have goats it is goat poop, and so on.

  4. #4mg23612021-10-05 05:41
  5. #5berky2021-10-05 05:56

    Maybe it was a drive in zerk, which are made of hardened steel. When you tried to unscrew it, it was like drill and ate up the bore. If its not to wobbly you might clean it up and try some red locktite.

  6. #6emmett5182021-10-05 09:56

    It has a hex on it, so I assumed it coul What part number is that? And any idea on how I get the old one out? Do I have to pull the front axle assembly from the tractor? That would suck.

  7. #7mg23612021-10-05 11:55

    Need a serial number for the correct part number. Or you can look yourself here: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

  8. #8mg23612021-10-05 12:05

    No, just the drive shaft.

  9. #9emmett5182021-10-05 12:52

    I only see the entire drive shaft. Serial number is 1t0310LXAGF296572.

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-10-05 14:08
  11. #11mg23612021-10-06 05:32
  12. #12Tinkerer2021-10-06 14:28

    My bad. mg2361 to the rescue again !