Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the term needed for the two different types of extendable dipper sticks?

Cartoondude135 · 2024-11-01 17:09

I don't want to screw up anything on my wish list, so I got to make sure all the words are correct. Apparently, the 444E comes with both these types of telescopic dipper sticks . The top pic (the one I'll need) is the type of telescopic dipper stick I'll find on... something like a CASE backhoe while the dipper stick in the bottom picture is the kind of telescopic dipper I'll find on... literally every older model CAT backhoe. The main advantage of the "CASE" dipper sticks is that the auxilary hydraulic lines extend with the backhoe attachment (plate compactor/breaker) when the spot I'm trying to pack down or break is just a little out of my reach. And also, the attachment's hydraulic hoses could snag during the extending process. So... "quadrant" is one of those words I'll need - as I was learning about old wigwag crossing signals with their swinging lights ( upper quadrant to resemble one of those bobbing bird head toy thingies and lower quadrant for a clock pendulum). But what's the other word(s) I'll need here?

Replies15
  1. #1Cartoondude1352024-11-01 21:45

    Ok, it took me a little longer than I originally thought, but I finally found an illustration: As you can see, that's the main drawback to having a telescopic dipper stick in this type of configuration "in this quadrant". Again, I'm sorry, my vocabulary isn't on point and I can't word this properly. So if I were to install auxilary lines on something like the 1987 Cat 426 Series II overcenter, then I'lll have to mount the auxilary pipes onto the bucket cylinder to prevent the hoses from snagging.

  2. #2cuttin edge2024-11-03 20:48

    Our Newholland backhoes had steel plumbing to the quick coupler. There was a manual shut off on each line at both the male and female coupler. The hoses were long enough to extend, There were never any issues. Not sure why those lines are routed that way. They are clearly long enough if they were not routed the way they are. Some manufactures don't recommend using a hammer with the boom fully extended, as it is hard on the bushings. Not sure about cat, but newholland were a teflon material.

  3. #3Cartoondude1352024-11-03 21:56

    Et voila, I finally found videographic evidence to better phrase out what I'm talking about. See how as the telescoping dipper extends and retracts, the attachment's hydraulic lines extend and retract with it because the machine's onboard auxilary hydraulic hoses are installed onto the outside section (the part that extends and retracts) ?

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-11-03 22:40

    Extend-a-hoe is the most common term. Are you looking at buying a backhoe?

  5. #5Cartoondude1352024-11-03 23:14

    Actually, to model it in Blender.

  6. #6Welder Dave2024-11-03 23:18

    What does that mean?

  7. #7Mike_272024-11-03 23:52

    He is creating a 3d model a backhoe with a software called Blender. Blender - The Free and Open Source 3D Creation Software — blender.org The Freedom to Create www.blender.org

  8. #8Cartoondude1352024-11-04 00:28

    That's right, and... I know I'm gonna sabotage my own progress by saying this out loud, but... *sigh* Take a look at this: Look at the bottom left ; I'm crushed by my own list. And this is just for the construction sector alone. I have other sectors to tend to too . And sometimes, I cram numerous things into one picture , so this is just a sample of what else I have cooped up. So I whipped up a crazy idea: get a game dev company to model it for me but via for their (online) (simulator) game. And I don't want the game modellers to mess up on any part of the model of the thing I requested for with my special needs or qualities for this game model item . In this case for example, the Cat 444E backhoe loader with the outer section of the extendahoe that extends and it's auxilary hydraulic hose lines mounted onto the said outside extendable extendahoe. Again, that will allow me to extend the extendahoe to it's max reach length and not snag the attachment's hydraulic hoses as illustrated in that video I found. And I'm currently seeking specific sound effects as we speak. And that's anything but easy; let's leave this part at that. Planning ahead (for things like jobsite drainage ) can really mean the difference between losing a DAY and losing a WEEK for one's progress (after a torrential rainfall and flash flood). Just make sure your recepient doesn't mess up on following your instructions or recipe. That's the worst thing that can happen on the job.

  9. #9cuttin edge2024-11-04 04:30

    I think he means the 2 options of an inner, and an outer retracting extendaboom. Inner part extends, or outer part

  10. #10Cartoondude1352024-11-04 17:48

    There we go! That's what I need to make sure I get my simulator vehicle request correct! Because as you just witnessed, the (580Ls and anything beyond that) Case backhoe's telescoping dipper is designed so it's auxilary hydraulic hoses are installed on it's outer extendable stick, thereby preventing snaging of the attachment's hoses as it extends all the way out .

  11. #11tuney4432024-11-09 10:46

    So on a different but related topic I'm mentioning is something I've been using on my slides on my Deere 410G. It's Schaeffer Lubricants Boom Lube. It comes in a large spray can, sprays out in a light viscosity, then thickens to provide a super slick lubricant. I also tried it on my heavy 18' sliding gate at my shop. I used to need both hands to work that gate, now I only need 1.

  12. #12Welder Dave2024-11-09 15:28

    You should put this in the TLB forum. This thread is concerning making scale models of backhoes.

  13. #13tuney4432024-11-09 18:03

    Scale models ? It's about the 2 different types of extendahoes

  14. #14cuttin edge2024-11-09 18:15

    Scale models is correct. The gentleman is researching the different types of extenda booms for modeling. I agree with Dave, you should start a thread in the backhoe forum, it might be seen by more people, and it seems like a good product.

  15. #15HarleyHappy2024-11-10 09:52

    That Schaeffer stuff is awesome. I use it everywhere. Cables, slides, pin joints, garage door hardware, hinges, tailgates. I order a 6 pack case at the beginning of every spring. I love how it sprays in like WD40 and a 1/2 hour later it’s slick grease. Stuff doesn’t seem to stick on it. If you smell it when you spray it, you can smell the acetone in it.