Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s the value of 1954 HD5 Track Loader

Digger HD5 ยท 2017-07-16 20:24

Wondering what the approx. value of my 1954 AC HD5 Track Loader is. Was given to me a few years ago by father-in-law who has since passed. I have now cleaned up my property, and don't need it. It starts right up, engine strong, detroit 271, drives good, clutches pretty good, hydraulics all work well. But looks like hell. I'm going to sell it but really have no idea what fair value is. Live in Kansas. Any help from the experts out there would really be appreciated. Thanks all.

Replies14
  1. #1Delmer2017-07-16 23:09

    "Looks like hell" covers a lot of territory. Picture? If it's rusty but not beat up, and the tracks are in good shape, you could probably get more than $5k around here. If the undercarriage is shot and it's beat up, and leaky all over like you'd expect, then quite a bit less than $5k.

  2. #2Digger HD52017-07-17 01:56

    Well as you can see "looks like hell" to me meant rusty. Hydraulics seep/leak a little but not like I have to put in fluid very often. Undercarriage seems good; I did replace a bad roller about 5 years ago. There is no generator/alternator, so battery has to be manually kept charged. I replaced the fuel pump, and fuel injectors about a year ago. Turned out the problem was pump not injectors, but I was kind of learning as I was going. I was hoping to get $5K before I posted this, based on looking around at internet sites. Delmer, thanks for replying, I really appreciate it. Any more input after looking at the picture would really help too.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-07-17 07:11

    That picture sure brings back some old memories Digger HD5 ! Do you have the hood for it ? If not I would suggest that you fabricate a hood for it and replace the sheet metal that is rusted through and you should get $5000.00 for it. I enlarged your photo in my computer and it appears to be in decent shape especially the tracks.

  4. #4DMiller2017-07-17 07:16

    Hey digger, I too am hanging on a old AC, not worth too much and dropping pretty fast anymore due to parts issues expanding or rather availability collapsing. Last one in reasonable shape I saw for sale on CL went for less than $3000, about all you can do in a soft market is sit on it or leave the price open for offers setting it not so high as to scare some off to start. Can always say no to the offers.

  5. #5mikebramel2017-07-17 07:42

    Anything over $2000 would be gravy

  6. #6Hobbytime2017-07-17 08:47

    if you want to spend some time and the cost of paint will make it MUCH more appealing to a DIY person and get you more $$$...you would be surprised what curb appeal will do for a sale..

  7. #7DMiller2017-07-17 15:28

    Can get gallon cans of tractor paint at Orscheln's or other farm and home shops, can order if do not have. A little deep grey/yellow over coat and that machine may just sell itself.

  8. #8Former Wrench2017-07-17 16:43

    DuPont overhaul; new or replacement seat, and working gauges will make all the difference in the world.

  9. #9Junkyard2017-07-17 17:07

    I think Miller is saying "paint it and I'll make an offer"

  10. #10DMiller2017-07-17 18:22

    I already have two, almost bought a 16B but let that pass, now I am retired and can't afford another project!! I have to finish up on my 7G first before ANY other projects show up. Trans is still looking at me every time I enter the shop!!

  11. #11Digger HD52017-07-17 23:54

    Really great info from all, just want you guys to know I appreciate it. This forum really helped me last year when I (pretty good shade tree mechanic, but not knowing anything about diesels) got a lot of help with fuel pump/injector issue, and I fixed it. So, this is great source from obviously a lot of experience.

  12. #12DMiller2017-07-19 14:37

    Really clean similar age 6G on Pittsburgh PA Craigslist but full repaint, $5300, Later model HD6G with heavier loader frame listed at $10,000 and a HD5G looks like smooth shoes $6000. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/hva?query=allis+chalmers

  13. #13Digger HD52017-07-21 01:30

    Thanks DM. It would take me a year to paint mine to look as good as the 6G for $5300. Maybe I'm shooting too high with the $5K. Well it's worth/value is what someone will pay for it..

  14. #14DMiller2017-07-21 07:21

    Got that right.