Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What’s up with this pump?

12ValveHyundai ยท 2021-05-01 18:34

Is this some precursor setup from before guys had tidy tanks with pumps? Or is it for something else entirely? It's plumbed into the fuel tank and there's a (broken) wire next to it with keyed 24V (there's also a switch on the pump).

Replies19
  1. #1Vetech632021-05-01 18:54

    Looks like a drain/fill pump

  2. #212ValveHyundai2021-05-01 19:53

    I've never seen a setup like this before. I fill through the top from my slip tank and there's a large petcock drain in the bottom. The hose doesn't even look long enough to reach a truck tank. Maybe it's just redundancy for it's own sake and I'm overthinking it.

  3. #3lantraxco2021-05-01 22:59

    That shiny rod sticking up there is a float level sensor laying loose, so I would guess at some point there was an auxiliary tank in there the operator could transfer from to make a longer shift. YMMV

  4. #4suladas2021-05-01 23:36

    Would have to be for a aux tank, because that line into the tank is so low you wouldn't get it even close to full.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-05-02 00:02

    Ummm... what? Pressure pump should push it right over the top if you let it?

  6. #612ValveHyundai2021-05-02 00:12

    Haha that's actually from the main tank, it died last year and after I changed it I figured it would work good for keeping the battery lid up since that gas shock is toast. An auxiliary tank would make sense though, I hadn't thought of that, she's not too hard on fuel but I suppose 12+hr shifts would be pushing it

  7. #7lantraxco2021-05-02 00:34

    LMAO! Got me!

  8. #8suladas2021-05-02 00:50

    Depending on the power of the pump i'm sure it could, but I can't imagine it pumping say 90 gallons in a reasonable amount of time where it would make any sense to use.

  9. #9suladas2021-05-02 00:52

    That's a small tank or really hard on fuel. My 210 will nearly run for 2 12 hour days on a tank.

  10. #10lantraxco2021-05-02 01:00

    Looks like a Jabsco rotary, 14 GPM roughly. Could go either way, if the machine has extra fuel, they could transfer to smaller machines as well as suck fuel into the tank.

  11. #1112ValveHyundai2021-05-02 01:01

    I'll call bull on that. Maybe if it idles most of the shift. This 210 has a 200L tank. I ran a JD 350 at a mine for a while, I'd burn between 3-400 litres in a 12hr day. Ran a 470 for a bit too, that regularly drank down 500L a shift. There's no chance a 210 is using only 200L in 24hrs.

  12. #12suladas2021-05-02 01:56

    Ah that's the difference, my 210 has a 350L tank.

  13. #13Tones2021-05-02 03:14

    That pump is for refuelling your machine

  14. #14361brock2021-05-02 03:31

    I also think it is used for refueling, I have similar set up in my 1985 Hitachi excavator, suction line has screen, toggle switch next to pump. Just drop hose into drum and suck fuel, Is located in tool box/step also is location of access hole to grease swing gear.

  15. #15Mobilewrench2021-05-02 04:17

    Yep. Fuel transfer pump. I have only run across a small hand full of machines with them. Mostly grey market European machines. I understand the idea of them but can't seem to be able to justify the practicality. How are you supposed to keep the pick up clean enough to use one? In particular, I nurse maid a German pc210 with a transfer pump in the hydraulic pump bay. I keep telling myself that I need to remove it because it is just in the way. Cute but useless like a vestigial tail. That being said; I would like a small 24v transfer pump to.live somewhere on my service truck. Pull that thing out and send it to me.

  16. #16Vetech632021-05-02 07:58

    That pump is there so I can top off the fuel tanks on my truck when I'm leaving your service call. LOL

  17. #1712ValveHyundai2021-05-02 11:56

    Service call?? What, you think I'm rich enough to hire people to fix this turd? Hahaha

  18. #1812ValveHyundai2021-05-02 11:59

    Well, that's fascinating. It's funny how you can go to different parts of the world, or even the same country sometimes, and find totally different ways of doing the same thing. I'm kind of glad to have truck mounted slip tanks, frankly. This setup looks like logistics pain. Who's handling all the drums?

  19. #19361brock2021-05-02 17:17

    My Hitachi with the factory installed on board fuel transfer pump was a grey market machine like Mobilewrench described. And Vetech63, that pump only pumps to the machine from another fuel source, like a 55 gal drum. It actually works pretty good, has a screen on suction side.