hello all, i'm a 30+ year veteran mechanic but just recently stepped out into working for myself full time and needing to purchase some type of laptop or scanner system. I'm kind of an old school guy but obviously in todays electronic everything trucks, a good laptop or scanner system is mission critical. I'd love to hear what you guys are using and the good bad and ugly about how you like it. (would you buy it again? what are the fees to update and how often? ) also anyone have experience with the pirated type systems? i have experience with Jpro and a few other systems from past employment. my basic business model is bootstrap everything. i don't like to take out loans cause you never know what the future holds. but with that said lol i do have tool bills.....
Watching this thread with interest... I am a bit more computer oriented than most mechanics I come across. But most of my stuff that I fix is still mechanical, so not a lot of equipment to test out different interfaces on. Otherwise I'd love to be the interface tester type person.
I have not personally used this company, but it has all oem software and interfaces. If and when I decide to go on my own I would buy software from these guys. EPCatalogs.com is the website. If I were to use them I would buy a external hard drive for each program so that I would only need one laptop. You can’t put certain diagnostic software on the same hard drive because they can cause problems with each other. As far as Bootleg software goes you get what you pay for and expect it to be full of malware.
Give it a few more years or less and we won't have to get pirated software since this last week the "president" signed an executive order of right to repair. Which means they can't hold our equipment hostage and we as individuals have the right to repair it on our own with whatever tools it takes not needing a stealership or techie come out to anal probe your machine and your wallet.
Let me give you some more info: if you want one computer that does everything, Texa software seems to be the way to go. Look at Diesel Laptops and/or J-Ball electronics. But a full setup is going to cost well north of $5k. Either of these places may rent you what you need, to get started. Do you do trucks, equipment, or both?
There are several popular diagnostic tools used by professionals and car enthusiasts. Some common ones include: 1. OBD-II Scanners: These scanners plug into the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) port of a car to retrieve data and diagnose issues. They can display trouble codes, monitor live data, and provide real-time analysis. 2. Manufacturer Specific Diagnostic Tools: Some car manufacturers provide their own diagnostic systems, such as BMW's ISTA, Ford's IDS, or Volkswagen's VAG-COM. These tools are specifically designed for their respective brands and provide advanced diagnostic capabilities. 3. Bluetooth/Wi-Fi Scanners: These compact devices connect to a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. They usually have their dedicated apps that can read and diagnose car codes, monitor performance, and provide maintenance information. 4. Handheld Scanners: Handheld diagnostic scanners are portable devices with integrated screens that can read and clear fault codes, display live data, and perform advanced diagnostic functions. 5. Professional Diagnostic Systems: Used by mechanics and advanced users, professional-grade diagnostic systems like the Autel MaxiSys or Launch X431 provide in-depth diagnostic capabilities and often come with a wide range of features and modules. Please note that the specific tool to use depends on the make and model of the car and the level of diagnostic capability required.