Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What scraper do I need?

MattR ยท 2011-03-27 17:46

Hi. Looking for info on open bowl scrapers in that 14-18 yd area. Even maybe 20yd. Had a nice Allis Chalmers 260. Was perfect size for us. Weighed about 44,000lbs. I would like some info on something comparable. All the others like the Cat 615 sized units are elevating scrapers. Seems only quite large scrapers are open bowl, except that AC 260 I have, which is a great unit but I can't find a tranny. Can't have elevators as we load with an excavator and pan out some chunky stuff on logging roads. A Cat 621A isn't too far off, but I would like smaller. Looking for info on older machines. We are a small outfit and the scraper only runs here and there so I can't afford a high dollar unit. Also, anyone need a beautiful quad dump? 19,000 orig. miles. 2006 model. Paid $160,000, sell for $95,000. Great truck just won't need it anymore. If anyone wants info and pics email @ [email protected] Thanks everyone

Replies6
  1. #1Gord2292011-03-28 05:15

    Hi Matt What breed of tranny does the 260 run? Would you be able to fit an Allison to it? Seems a shame to have a machine you like so much parked up because of only one component! The Cat 621A is the same capacity in the bowl as the 260 at 14 yd struck - 20 yd heaped, as is my favourite machine the Wabco 229F, G or H. I have to say, having now owned my Wabco for over 13 years, it has been the best money maker I have ever come across. Repairs have been minimal, with day after day availability and running competitively against Cat 621Bs. For my dollar it is the best machine I have ever bought and operated. Cheers Gordon

  2. #2scraperboy2222011-03-28 05:45

    Hi Matt Have you had a look at the Cat 611s they are pretty much a 615 but open bowl around the 17 yd mark i think. Have not operated one myself so cannot say if they are a good machine or not. Bevan

  3. #3alan627b2011-03-28 22:53

    There are some 613's running around with Kress and Rome open bowl conversions, and IH/Dresser 412's as well. Check www.Machinerytrader.com Hope this helps... Alan

  4. #4MattR2011-03-29 07:50

    Hi there. Gordon, the trans is a 5 speed manual. You can't believe the problem to find it. I may end up fitting something else to it in the end, but am trying to get an idea of what may work should we need to get another. I will look at those Wabcos. I looked at 611's but they are too new for my pocket book. Look great though. Never heard of those 613 conversions, but great to know they exist. Thanks everyone

  5. #5wnydirtguy2011-03-29 19:26

    Mat you could look into a Terex TS-14. i think they are about the same size as your 260. They are easy to find and parts are easy to get. The 14 get around good and nice when you are in tight places. We have a bunch and love them. You can load them with a excavator easily. I had used a skidsteer and loader to load ours when need. Just thought they maybe something for you to look into.

  6. #6Gord2292011-03-30 02:56

    G'day again Matt So if the transmission is a 5 speed manual, what is the problem? Are you not able to find parts for it? Is there any indication on the box as to whether it maybe a Fuller or Spicer? They were the most common gearboxes used in the older gear. My old '61 model LW Vpower C'Pull has a 5 speed Fuller LM-1220 box in it for example. As for Terex TS-14 option, yes it is equivalent in size, and runs the same drivetrain as the Wabco (ie Detroit 2 stroke engine and Allison powershift transmissions) just depends whether you need twin power machine. I agree they are not a bad machine. If you don't mind cable bowl operation, you could look for a Cat 619, they are 14-18 rated. Cheers Gordon