Cat 247B 2002. I was having issues getting the cat to start. Finally found slime in fuel. replacing the filter i found what I can only call copper powder in the rim of the filter. Any input appreciated. Could the lift pump or injection pump be damaged causing this or could it just be dried up slime that just looks like copper power?
Years ago, farmers were bringing in their fuel filters to us and asking why there was copper in their filters. It turned out to be the fuel delivery truck transfer pump was failing and filling their bulk tanks with metal.
I buy my fuel from a gas station in 5 gallon bucket. Is it possible the pump at the station is going bad like you described?
A tanker truck delivered the fuel to the station, so probably the tanker. I should have said the farmers had brass in their filters not cooper.
Seen that when the brass filters start coming apart.