Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What should I expect to pay for Hyd. hose?

joeeye59 ยท 2008-06-20 09:27

About a 3 foot section of hose needs to be replaced on my 1988 John Deere 310c backhoe that operates one of the arm pistons... I called the dealer and when they don't want to give out a price over the phone as if they never did that kind of a job before and need to look at it you know it's going to be very expensive to go there... But then I don't want to go to some auto parts store who can make them up and they use a crappy quality hose that won't last as long as the dealers? thats if there is such a situation like this can happen??? thank you for any and all advice what to look out for...

Replies10
  1. #1SouthOnBeach2008-06-20 10:14

    If they order the hose from the factory I would say it is going to be pricey. If they make them inhouse then I would say its going to be reasonable. I'm really suprised that they couldn't give you an idea on price. Kinda makes me think they send it out to be made. I'm sure they know roughly what it takes to make up, 3' of say 3/4" hose and 2 ends... I personaly get most of mine made at the auto parts place that I deal with all the time. They use all Gates hose and fittings, haven't had a problem with any yet, and they have good prices.

  2. #2bentwrench2008-06-20 12:05

    I just went yesterday to my local auto store and had 4 new hose made for my loader tractor. They used Gates high pressure, flame retardent, double wire hose. The 1/2" hose was $3.99 per ft., the ends were 4@ $4.49 and 4@ $6.29. I have used these Gates hose with their hyd. crimp-on fittings for quite awhile and never had any problems.

  3. #3OneWelder2008-06-20 13:50

    You can go to the J D site and price out the hose- you can prepay it, it will be shipped to the dealer for less than you pay at dealers

  4. #4tonka2008-06-20 17:42

    prolly under 50 bux

  5. #5pwrstroke6john2008-06-21 02:14

    if you have a Napa store near you just go there. The napa near me has been able to get me what ever hose I may need made up in 10 minutes.

  6. #6jughead2008-06-21 07:12

    be glad it aint a komatsu. roughly 1 inch fittings were priced to me 75 bucks and change a-piece.

  7. #7HeyUvaVT2008-06-21 08:02

    asv rc100 high flow hoses are almost $10.00 a foot...the quick couplers are $70 and $90 each...shouldnt be as bad for the backhoe i would say under 50$

  8. #8Partsdude2008-06-21 10:18

    If the dealer is unwilling to quote you a price over the phone I would bet that the guy you were talking to does not understand exactly what hose you are referring to. Almost daily I get customers phoning me looking for a hose to be made, but they do not know how to describe the hose to the parts guy. For example, how long is the hose? If you say 40 inches do you mean 40 inches of hose, or 40 inches overall length? What fittings are on the ends? Straight? 45 degree? 90 degree? 135 degree? A combination of angles? How are the 2 angled fittings oriented to each other? Does it have threaded fittings? ORB ends? ORFS? JIC? Metric JIC? Flange fittings? What is the pressure rating for the hose? Does it need spring wrap? :beatsme /end rant

  9. #9dirt digger2008-06-21 16:42

    $110 is what we just spent two days ago to get a 3 foot hose that goes up over the knuckle on our backhoe to control the bucket cylinder the CASE dealer wanted $130 and the local hydraulic shop did it for $110...it was 1 inch line

  10. #10tuney4432008-06-21 16:49

    The most important thing here is to make sure the hose you're replacing has the same PSI as the original.Price is secondary--would really suck if your hose burst while you're working late at night with 2 plumbers down in the trench and you can't git er dun!!!!!