Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size 4 point/square socket is needed for hydraulic fill cap

TNTRanch ยท 2024-08-11 12:35

I have a 1978 case 580c. Does anyone know what size 4 point male socket is used for the hydraulic fill cap. No one in town sales these so I have to order a set online and want to make sure I get a set that has the correct size. Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1MarcusZ19672024-08-11 14:22

    Can you fit an open end wrench on it? Pic would help.

  2. #2Tinkerer2024-08-11 14:40

    Grind the hex head of a bolt to fit and use a small pipe wrench on the bolt shank.

  3. #3stinky642024-08-11 17:59

    1/2 or 3/4 drive extension or ratchet will probably work unless you've got some kinda freaky commie pipe plug going on. Did you measure the orifice in question? OEM plug was on outie not an innie.

  4. #4TNTRanch2024-08-12 02:10

    Here is a pic. Found a manual online and it has a square male end on the filler cap this is a female end. Is it possible it was put in inside out by the last owner?

  5. #5TNTRanch2024-08-12 02:38

    Size of square is 7/8

  6. #6MarcusZ19672024-08-12 07:10

    3/4" breaker bar. Plugs like that I don't use impact on.

  7. #7Tinkerer2024-08-12 07:50

    No, it is impossible to install a pipe plug upside down. Those plugs have a flat surface on the bottom of them.

  8. #8stinky642024-08-12 08:54

    When you get that one out, maybe replace it with an external square pipe plug so you can remove it with crescent or pipe wrench or even vise grips in an emergency. Many have also been fitted with a street 90 fitting so you have a place to put a funnel. I keep bottom half of a beer can over the top of mine to prevent rain/snow infiltration.

  9. #9TNTRanch2024-08-12 12:27

    3/4 breaker bar did the trick. Thanks.

  10. #10MarcusZ19672024-08-12 13:30

    No problem.