Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size chains for transport???

caseaddict01 ยท 2010-09-17 19:34

I have a Case 1845C that I would guess weighs around 7000 lbs. and I need to transport it, but I'm not sure of what size chain I need to get to keep from having problems with Dear 'Ol DOT. I know to get Grade 70, but should I get 5/16, 3/8, or what??? By the Way in case it makes any difference I'm in Tennessee and the machine will only be transported in Tennessee.

Replies3
  1. #1Komatsu 1502010-09-17 20:35

    5/16 is probably legal but 3/8 transport in 20 foot lengths already assembled with hooks is the cheapest to buy from a truck parts store, much cheaper than buying bulk chain and hooks usually.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2010-09-17 20:43

    While 5/16 would be OK, I would go with 3/8 just so I had the bigger chain to work with doing other thinks. 5/16 gets beat up pretty easy. You should be OK with either 2 long chains or 4 short ones. Some extras are always good to have, so you can tie down other things as well. For light duty like that, G-70 is fine. If you get to hauling bigger items, G-80 or G-100 is better.

  3. #3Dozerboy2010-09-17 21:06

    X3 I hate messing with short chains for a Skidsteer JIMO