Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

WHAT SIZE?!?!? Ex do I need in my life

firchk · 2022-05-26 20:20

New to the forum (thanks to the folks that have helped me out so far) bought a machine based off some of the conversation (cat313gc) now shopping for another - we will be running a bulkhead unloading a hopper barge filled with swamp mud the reach needs to be approx 30~35 from center on mats to far corner of barge help me pic guys we are Cat fans

Replies6
  1. #1Plebeian2022-05-27 05:20

    Unloading barges from a dock is different to digging holes for a pipeline etc. Machines designed for portside etc use include Sennebogen-North America, North Carolina. https://sennebogen-na.com/ (For some machines - Cummins diesel or electric motor, 4 different rubber tire bases, 3 different track bases and a fixed base, 6 different boom /stick sets etc are offered) E-Crane International, Ohio. Excavator base conversion companies (adding high rise cabs, counterweights, custom booms/ sticks/ clamshells) - Pierce Pacific Manufacturing, Portland and Young Corporation, Seattle. Example of Pierce sales/ design/ build/ machine start up process. https://www.constructionequipmentgu...r-moves-product-from-mighty-mississippi/29073

  2. #2firchk2022-05-27 11:03

    Our barge bin is 80x15 it will be laid up long against the bulkhead and we have about a 6 ft gap (small walkway+outer edge of barge) if measured is approximately 30ft from inside bottom corner of barge to the center of the machine track I was looking for something that isn’t custom since we have had trouble with wheeled machines I’d rather not a wheeled but track also the extended boom kits limit how volume significantly in many cases (most applications are unloaded from the ends so a 60ft conversion is typical - prevents relocating the tug) in our case a big bucket on a 340ish sized machine is kinda what I was thinking as long as I can hit the 30days foot mark - this should net us more volume per bucket hopefully that makes sense

  3. #3firchk2022-05-27 15:04

    Sorry for the grammar errors - quick reply from my phone….

  4. #4Vetech632022-05-27 18:07

    I quit paying attention to her size when she became an ex.

  5. #5skyking12022-05-27 20:13

    since you are on a bulkhead and earth, size is not a thing so go find a big rig like an old 450 with a 6' cleanup bucket and get with it. Sounds like you can't go wrong. I'd say any 450 that is priced right with a smooth bucket. A 345 cat is a good enough machine, might be a search to find the cleanup bucket.

  6. #6John Shipp2022-05-30 17:57

    These were being used for scooping out barges.