Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to buy?

watglen · 2009-11-29 14:26

Just for fun, if i was looking for a dozer under 20,000# what should i be looking at. JD 650 or smaller, D4, Komatsu, Case? Any others? Opinions on what to stay away from? I am looking to transport on my 25600 # rated flat deck trailer, and stay under the 102" legal width limit. Thanks, Ken

Replies33
  1. #1Greg2009-11-29 14:37

    Go for the Cat first, last and always..

  2. #2CinOK2009-11-29 14:39

    This could be an interesting what is better thread.

  3. #3roddyo2009-11-29 14:57

    The John Deere J Series Thread Since it seems like everyone is chasing John Deere in that market it kind of kills the debate IMO. If your in the dirt a lot or running a machine control the blade speed of the Deere seems like the winner there. In the woods I like the Komatsu's. I like the simple 3 speed transmission and the slower blade speed when you got a lot going on. I have had 2 this year and both were good machines. I could see in dirt work where they would be lacking thou. I'm running a 2007 450J LGP now BTW. I don't think there's much difference in any of them anymore. If it was me I would be buying more on price than brand, at least in that sized machine.

  4. #4EGS2009-11-29 18:53

    That is some very good advice. I would look at price too. I like the older D4H's they seem to hold up well and are easy to operate. But I think that Deere has Cat beat in the this size class.:notworthy

  5. #5special tool2009-11-29 19:31

    I agree 100%

  6. #6roddyo2009-11-29 21:13

    D4h Thanks EGS, How did the Deer Hunt go? I think the D4H is my favorite dozer. I have had 2 of those this year also and like keeping one around. They are a good simple tractor that is easy to make money with in my area. If the Series III had a Komatsu Hydrostat Tranny I think they would be the perfect tractor, For Me. What I like about a D4H LGP is they will make a Hero out of a Fool doing dirtwork, and ride good doing it. It's like Caterpillar had me in mind when they built a D4H. I forgot to add, they are just the right size to pull behind a one ton truck.

  7. #7RTSmith2009-11-29 21:19

    But isn't your 25,600 rated trailer the GVWR? And if it is like most gooseneck flatbeds, it weighs about 7,000#. If that's the case, you have a machine limit of 18,600 or so. Just a point to ponder. On edit- You will pick some up with weight transfer to the truck via the tongue. But a 1 ton is 12,000# GVWR or so, and actually weighs 7K, so you may grab another 5K there. But weight distribution (where you park it on the deck) will be critical on any machine over 20,000#. Oh- make sure you've got your class A CDL

  8. #8RTSmith2009-11-29 21:24

    You know, in this area I cannot find enough small Deeres to fill a good sized trailer. But Cats are everywhere. Back to that dealer support issue again I think.

  9. #9watglen2009-11-29 23:16

    All great advice!

  10. #10EGS2009-12-01 21:04

    The deer hunt did not go very well. With this CWD going on here in Wisconsin deer hunting is just about ruined. D4H just about right on a one ton pick-up, I like that!:notworthy

  11. #11special tool2009-12-01 21:24

    UUUUUHHHH - no. That machine is WAAAAY too heavy to legally haul with any toy pickup truck. Not even close. We are talking in excess of 20,000 pounds here. Current one ton max haul capacity is what 17,000 pounds??? at most - and we have not mentioned the weight of the trailer (and this trailer will also be heavy). If you kill someone hauling a D4H with a pickup, you will go to jail, bro. You need to seriously get this notion out of your mind.

  12. #12roddyo2009-12-01 22:18

    Making the Natives Restless That's a bummer on the Deer Hunt. I throw that D4H on a One Ton in every chance I get. It seems to make the Natives Restless.

  13. #13EGS2009-12-02 19:43

    I agree 110%! I would do it too.

  14. #14blowerman2009-12-02 19:58

    I had a friend show up to move our 5G while our truck and 25 ton tag was busy. Came around the corner to see him put it on a 10 ton behind a F550... He said it pulled fine and all brakes worked good. Hmm, I wouldn't do it, but I see it can be done.

  15. #15special tool2009-12-02 20:52

    Hey, I get it - you and roddyo are pretty good together, funny stuff.:lmao Time to get room, and stop all this pretending!

  16. #16zbo22009-12-02 23:30

    roflmao

  17. #17roddyo2009-12-03 09:11

    Leaving the Motel LMAO That was pretty good but people in Glass Houses shouldn't be throwin stones. Especially when there's pictures like this floating around of what you been picking up in the bars.

  18. #18Zan2009-12-03 09:29

    Which new equipment? Hi, If I'm posting this in the wrong place, I am sorry, its my first time here... We have a chance of getting a large contract for earthmoving with a large coal mine here in South Africa. We are not in the business and the mine has specified a D11 or Komatsu 475 for the work... I have been reading on the forum and herewith the question: which one do I go for? (I have found that here in SA the CAT is approx $500,000 more expensive). But all that I've read on parts availability and back up service, it seems to me that initial price should be the least of my considerations. Your thoughts would be appreciated Thanks

  19. #19special tool2009-12-03 18:22

    You guys caught me out - sometimes I don't expect guys to have a sense of humor on this site. Bye the way....that picture is actually my sister on the dirtbike.

  20. #20RTSmith2009-12-03 22:31

    Your sister heh?? She the one with the hat, or the wool coat?

  21. #21zbo22009-12-03 22:49

    all to funny.....

  22. #22EGS2009-12-04 20:03

    Or maybe the dog?

  23. #23special tool2009-12-04 21:33

    All 3 are my sister, thanks. Bye the way - thanks a lot for sending me this pic of you and roddyo at the local 139 "alternative lifestyle" picnic inside your D4 haul rig.....

  24. #24roddyo2009-12-05 08:41

    That's just like EGS. Invite a guy to a party and run out of PBR.

  25. #25watglen2009-12-05 10:07

    I called my trailer manufacturer yesterday and he walked me through what i can haul LEGALLY. My trailer has 2-12000# axles but the tires are not rated as high. The tires can only handle 22222# total. My truck axles are rated at 4850 and 6500#. I have heavy tires on my truck so the axles are the limit. The guy said in Canada the MTO was only concerned about axle loads, so as long as the scales don't register more than the above your ok. The trailer weighs about 7500#. My truck weighs 6000#. Doing the math, i can payload 20,072 # and i just have to load it just right. In reality, i may not be able to load it to actually achieve that much because there is no way to position the load on the trailer to give the distribution on each of the truck axles. If i try to maxload the truck, the back axle will be drastically overloaded, the front axle underloaded. He figured that if i put anything on the trailer it would drastically overload my truck, and that trailer would be better served with f450-f550 truck as a pull vehicle. Truck Mfr gross combined vehicle weight rating is just a loose guideline, and the mto doesn't look at it. The other interesting thing is that if you want to haul something heavier, get a heavier truck and move the weight forward on the trailer. If you are close to the limit, the best way it to load up and go weigh each axle at a scale. All that being said, the next step is go weigh the rig unloaded, and then do the math. Needless to say, when i put the 6 on it i'll be going real easy, especially on those ice downhills

  26. #26Greg2009-12-05 11:36

    I would say he was crazy putting that kind of load behind a F550.

  27. #27waumpuscat2009-12-09 19:19

    now that pic in the back of the truck is funny

  28. #28I AM IRONMAN2009-12-09 20:07

    D4H is a little heavy For the most part, the D4H would be way to heavy to haul with a one ton. I'd go for a 550H Deere if money isn't to tight. It should weigh about 18,000 lbs. Here is some info on the Cat D4H, and I think they were all built in Japan. D4H (JPN) 8PB 91-96 95/— 24,242 lbs, I'm not sure if that counts the ripper and cab. I really haven't had much luck with them, and I think most of the engines were dry sleeve.........at least the one I had trouble with was a throw away engine. Got a little spendy!! The Deere 550H isn't to expensive and would fit on a trailer for a one ton without to much trouble............and is made in good old USA!!

  29. #29Greg2009-12-10 10:27

    :drinkupD4H with a dry sleeve was a 3204 engine with a turbo. Just like in my D3 with out turbo. Rebuilt my D3 engine a number of years ago and price was not bad so I wouldn't be afraid of one. Seems as the 3204's were a lot better than their big sister 3208's. Just one more question here. Looks like the sheep is driving the guy in the hat only has his hands up there to hold him or her on, and the sheep is taking orders from the dog. That is one of the best photos I have seen in a long time.

  30. #30Iron Man2009-12-10 13:24

    Exactly:

  31. #31roddyo2009-12-10 18:02

    This has been my 2009 Dozer Crop. This has been my 2009 Dozer Crop and not a bad one in the bunch I might add. I liked this D4H so much I put two pictures of it in There was also a 2006 37 Komatsu in the bunch but I didn't have it long enough to get a picture

  32. #32roddyo2009-12-10 18:19

    Here's the rest of them. This D4H was a Series III The 450J is what I'm running now. The 450H I rented from a friend of mine to finish a job after selling the first D4H. The D7H really don't count because I never run it

  33. #33Komatsu Kings2009-12-29 22:55

    The type of dozer you should buy is a komatsu they are the best.