Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What to consider with a D6D

Kyfarm ยท 2016-09-16 08:52

I am maybe gonna consider trading my D31E in on something more capable. I want to look at a '84 D6D that is for sale from the same place as my D31E was. Are there known issues with this tractor or certain things I should look at? http://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?...6GRKIONdQ9Khe6w12N8F8HO7AIZZ0bb9akHj/mDqE6K0W http://media.sandhills.com/img.axd?...b1+TiMr8mZWf2yHoYau4QrCoedpZCnVDf2SltC6VXqFBb Thanks for any help.

Replies3
  1. #1oldirt2016-09-16 14:25

    no issues except that the D is now an old tractor. it had better have a running history of how many hours are on each component to give you an idea of what your costs will be once you buy it. everything wears out. that said, the 6D was a very very excellent and well balanced machine that would deliver many thousands of hours of running. I own one, also an '84, and it has a lot of miles on it but still delivers. parts are extremely easy to come by, and most repairs can be performed by guys who have no special training.

  2. #2Karl Robbers2016-09-16 20:05

    I don't own one and haven't run one, so take my input for what it is worth. I have heard from several sources, one being a logging contractor, one an ex Cat salesman and the other a private dealer, that D6D's had something of an achilles heel in their final drives. This may have been rectified during the run for all I know, but could be worth further research perhaps.

  3. #3Welder Dave2016-09-17 01:00

    Try and get your pictures bigger. The undercarriage looks worn but the pics are so small it's hard to tell how much.