Hello, new here, whatever... Any way, I run a small logging outfit, employing me myself and I. I'm looking for my next piece of iron. Its main uses will be for building small access roads, digging the occasional stump, loading my little dump truck with firewood, possibly skidding logs, although I have a skidder for that. The way I figure it, the best option will be an excavator, but I just don't have the money for that kind of investment. So next best thing would be a backhoe, although I'm not real sure how well a backhoe will do in rough terrain. My third option is a dozer, but it can't load so well... Whatever I end up getting It has to be diesel, under 6k, and weigh less then 13,000. I'm not afraid of old Iron, and parts and down time in my experience arn't nearly as bad as a giant payment looming over my head.
How about a small high lift dozer ? Not uncommon to see small logging outfits in my area using them . Grade road ,skid logs ,pull out stuck trucks . Drop a set of forks on and load logs on the truck . Going to be tough to find a working unit under $6,000.00 . Years ago it was common to see them with the back hoe attachment on them . Pretty handy all around rigs as the hoe could be removed quickly if need be . I see a couple on machinery trader www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9522961 www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9582167 Skidloader with tracks might also be something to look at .
That might do, the kind with a bucket, sometimes called a track loader? Its amazing what people will sell for less then worth, many dozers around here for 2-5k Cat d2-d4's, Deere 440 1010's, Most of em work run and work, some not so much... Backhoe's are a different problem, finding one in the right price range that runs can be difficult, but not impossible
Backhoes are just so versatile man. I don't think you can go wrong if come across one in your price range
Yes northmanlogging ..... Track loader is really the proper term for them . For some reason we call them a " High Lift " In my area , slang term for Track Loader . A rubber tire backhoe is also a good versatile machine . However in rough terrain , (hills, woods , etc.) you will get along better with a track loader in my opinion. Yeah ... keep looking around till you find something close to the price range . Here is a nice looking JD 350 . Chain & sprockets look pretty good . www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=9843167
There are several track loaders near me, and they pop up fairly often, most don't have a back hoe attachment though. How difficult would it be to put one on? Ideally it would have a winch and a backhoe, both "quick" detach.
Your best bet if you want the backhoe is to buy the machine equipped with it already . We don't see very many track loader /hoe combo units around either . To bad that 550 Deere with backhoe isn't closer to home , I like the looks of it . That would be a cool setup as I could see building a hydraulic winch to fit the quick mount on the track loader . You probably need the winch more than the hoe but it would be nice to have both . Also don't overlook tracked skid loaders . We have had one for years & love it . Few threads & attachments we use HeavyEquipmentForums Front mount winch HeavyEquipmentForums