Uncle found out that his worker has behavioral issues. It's too late because he already hired him as their mechanic. Though, signs are not too obvious. He sometimes displays a strange behavior. This could be a tough situation, Isn't it? What to do if you found out a worker has behavioral issues?
Mechanic with strange behavior .... lol souds pretty normal
Leave'm alone & let'm do his work.. IF it becomes disruptive to the running of the business, you have to take him ASIDE & explain that, "that's NOT how we act around here & IF you cant get w/ the program, you'll be out the door QUICK.".. If it happens again, write it up & have him SIGN IT.. 2warning.. If it goes on for a 3rd time, walk him out the door.. I gave you a verbal.. I gave you a written & you still continued to do "it".. sorry we gotta let ya go.. toodles.
Did your uncle hire thepumpguy? Just kidding, those are some good steps to take. Unless the "behavioral issues" are going to be causing immediate physical danger to customers or other employees.
LOL.. I just "know" how it works.. I've never been in that situation before..Lol I've been on the other side tho.. had to fire 1 or 2 idiots in my day.. Warnings & documentation are the key for keeping your azz outa the fire.. Ya never know.. with a warning here & there, he might turn out to be a good addition.?? OR.. we'll be reading about you in the paper.??
Send him down to Charleston to work in the fuel shop.. They got> 1 guy w/ sleep apnya who falls asleep on his tool box, daily.. 1 guy who was sent to PRISON TWICE for having sex w/ under age girls.. 1 guy who looks at dirty mags & internet sites all day & masturbates constantly.. 1 guy who keeps a bottle in his drawer & drinks daily. 1 guy who was just let go after 25 years of cocaine use.. 1 guy who wants to FIST FIGHT if you tell'm to wash his hands.. & countless people sitting around working on their "side projects" instead of doing their job.. I guy in a band that books "gigs" all day.. & 1 woman that runs a catering business that plans menus all day.. OH, & lets not forget about the "photographer".. Buddy, you wanna talk about "behavioral problems"..???
As pump guy mentioned above, record all your interaction with him. That said, what kinda Yahoo are ya dealing with? Is he incompetent, a man/child or a wrench thrower? Enquiry minds want to know
If the cat's just a little quirky but not causing any trouble then leave him be at his job . If it's hurting the bottom line … Well ….
Been there before. Best idea from me is that it is your uncle's problem and stay out of the way if fur starts to fly.
Oh I can't wait to see where this thread goes! Honestly if someone came in the shop and just quietly worked all day with no visible signs of some dysfunction... that would be the one I worry about.
Yes! Seems like many times when there is some mass shooting they interview neighbors who say: "He was always quite and kept to himself." Then they go in his house and see all kinds of satanic posters and then find his Facebook postings saying "Blood is going to flow in the halls this week!"
I draw the line at the money. Is he costing you money?=time=business. If the answer is Yes, hes got to go work somewhere else. Everybody has to be profitable for the business.
Working in the design business I've dealt with my fair share....for some reason the boss always kept them. Some output is better than none I guess. One guy, couldn't handle stress....you never gave him a deadline, yup, I screwed up, need a concept by Thursday. The basket case didn't show up for 3 weeks. Another must've had a book....1001 excuses on why I was late or didn't show up. Then there were the honest ones..show up at 10:00 am work their 8 and go home. "Went to the bar, picked up these 2 chicks and ................" Dave, I don't want to know. Ed
Well, my uncle addressed the problem to the human resource department to be properly investigated. If the behavioral issues really affect his performance and proven with mental health disorder then he decided to give the worker noticed that he is required to have counseling .
I'm SUPRISED that HR didn't send THE UNCLE to counseling, to better understand the worker.. Lol What a day we live in.. ya gotta go get counseling to "understand" how to act in the work place.. Whats this guys "work history"?? does he bounce from job to job pulling the same sh-t & collecting unemployment?? DO YOU work there?? cuz I like John C's post #9..
I think it depends on what type of behavioral problems the guy has. My welding teacher in school was a foreman on a lot of big projects and said he often got stuck with the problem apprentices. I asked what's a problem apprentice? He throws a grinder and someone... while it's still spinning! Now if the person has ADD or ADHD or something like that that could be treated with medication, then maybe all you have to do is make sure he takes his meds. Sometimes you have to be a little understanding.
Just to add to my list, I worked w/ a guy that had "something".. ADHD or whatever you call it.. He would line up his tools till they were PERFECT.. & I mean PERFECT.. size, order, spacing, length.. it was annoying as hell.. Oh, & the "polishing"..
I hope he had the sizes on the sockets all facing the same direction, sometimes one has to return a socket because when they stamp the size on it they are not indexed correctly with the square drive and there is no way to clip them on the socket rail and have them lined up!
I might be the only one, but what are his quirks??
From another thread: Call me cynical, but when somebody sneaks a link for the same site into three different threads, I can't help but think they're doing it for SEO purposes. That's a behavioral issue that this forum won't tolerate.
Ken.. you would have died if you saw it.. & I'm talking about his WORK bench.. you should have seen his tool BOX.!!
whoa! we got played!
If there is such a thing as a "mental health disorder", it needs to be defined. If there is such a thing as a human without a "mental health disorder", then that needs to be defined too. If there is such a thing as a mechanic without a "mental health disorder" I'd be mighty surprised. Try wrenching for a while. We are talking in terms of relativity. HOW is his behavior a problem? Sometimes one person's idiosyncracies are not compatible with the next. Maybe Uncle is one of those guys who thinks "anyone who disagrees with me has a mental health disorder".
I come from a long line of loonies . Some of em even got paper to back it up.
.. that's one of my favorite lines>> "I AM NOT CRAZY & I got papers to prove it." Lol
My old Boss at the truck & equipment shop did not care how we did a job as long as it got done . He had a pretty nice shop arrangement all around with big concrete aprons outside the shop doors . I always liked working outdoors in the sun . Never cared much for working inside a building . Many a time would swap a clutch or motor outside with the wrecker as the hoist . Boss walked past me one afternoon & yelled " If I knew I hired a Damn coal mine mechanic I would not have bothered to build this shop ! " LOL
If a feller is surging up & down all the time try snugging the buffer screw a little . Only the Detroit guys will get that one .
Maybe that's where, " I'm gonna tighten you up " came from. Lol
Just be careful not to go to far because it can cause a runaway situation!
Trip the air shut off when they get wild .
I did.
One of my favorite lines from a song back in the 1970's I believe: "It's so nice to be insane, No one asks you to explain!"
my reply is a little late but better late then never.. Ive been a boss at a coal mine for years. Make sure you DOCUMENT every move. Verbal warnings should ALWAYS be followed up on in WRITING. Just write down DTI (DATE TIME AND INITIALS by both of you ) + A small statement on what was discussed. Explain why your having him sign something and they will understand. .Now that may not sound nice. But If he tries to get a lawyer later stating you said this or that..You have Doc's signed by him to cover you but. I've seen it all underground. Guy gets something said to him in a respectful manner by management and employee calls the law stating threats leading to lawsuit. Seriously. When it comes to people you can't be careful enough.. CYA Cover your A** Ive had guys work for me for years and most times especially in UMWA mines they kind of weed themselves out.( Most times we cant do **** to a union man anyway...If you cant hang the crew wont put up with it..But this is a much different case. If its just one guy who shows up and does his job well.. Just sit and have a coffee.. explain whats expected.. take notes on his replies. Have him sign something and let it go until there is another issue. I just watched a kid and i mean 19 win a million dollar law suit for a foreman pulling him aside and asking him to "pick up the pace a little please" There were no witnesses to the happening. It was one mans words against another and employee made up one hell of a story and got paid for it. So again. DOCUMENT.