I am trying to learn here and there so that I hopefully do not get burned on a purchase.Is there a way that a newbie could tell pin and bushing wear on a backhoe ?I would consider paying a mechanic to go with me if need be.But I guess what I am asking is as I go looking is there a way I could weed out machines before asking someone to checkout machines for me ? Ford 555,655 Case 580 is the area I am looking.Not familiar with JD size equivalent to these. Thanks for any suggestions.
If you can't tell by looking at them, then raise the bucket and shake it with the control valve, same with the backhoe. Loose pins will let the parts wiggle a fair bit more and make a lot of noise.
I would focus on the 580 Case and the equivelent John Deere 410 and while they are both excellent machines I tend to lean toward the John Deere entries. I would take someone with you to help you make a purchase.Having a dealer nearby will also be a factor.Ron G
If you don't know what you are doing take someone with you even if you have to pay a little. I can save you a lot in the long run! Don't be afraid of the Fords. First look up on line and you will find that not only does New Holland still support them but any Case or Case IH dealer should be able to at least get parts for it. Rick
I have no problem taking somebody with me and paying them to check it out.I would like to have a little idea what I am looking for instead of asking and wasting someone's time looking at junk.Are pins and bushing replacement a tough thing to do ?
Depends on your fabricating and welding skills. I don't think they are too tough, but I am a welding contractor. I don't do that type of work and find it hot, heavy and dirty, so I only do it on my own stuff.
Pins are pretty easy (at least my opinion), bushings aren't that much fun (at least in my opinion). Walker pretty much nailed it. Operate the backhoe and run it good, and you'll be able to see slop and looseness everywhere. Pay attention to shimming on the pins as well, shims aren't that expensive, but if you need them in a lot of places then it'll add up fast. Also pay attention to bucket couplers, if the machine has an older WainRoy coupler, it'll appear very loose and make a lot of noise during operation. The newer WainRoys have an adjustment to take out the slop. Always be on the look out for leaks and damaged hoses as well. Check out the backhoe lines where they enter through the bottom of the boom and into the swing mount, a lot of messed up hoses are missed there. Check auxiliary lines through the boom and up to the dipper where they are mounted (if equipped), also check extendahoe lines near the boom/dipper pivot point (if equipped).