Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what to pay employee?

bjs ยท 2015-01-12 11:21

im new to this never hired anyone before . I have a very skilled operator . just curious on a good pay for him should be when I get the jobs to work him thanks so much . he will b on a john deere 333d skid tracks . hope this helps .

Replies13
  1. #1Yellowdog2015-01-12 21:10

    I pay laborers who operate a chainsaw $12-15/hr. I'd pay a good machine operator who is preventative on maintenance, works without a lot of supervision, and isn't on the phone or smoking all the time, at least $15-$18 maybe $20/hr depending on how much they are making you. Maybe start at $15/hr, guaranteed hours, and help with fuel when he has to meet you at a distant job site in his own vehicle. I'm just guessing here since TX wages are less than other parts of the country due to the influx of cheap labor. Down here there are some down-right awful, unskilled operators driving all types of machines. My favorite is the backhoe guy in a rented backhoe on a major highway project trying to dig with the hoe and no stabilizers down! he wasn't worth $10.hr.

  2. #2Shimmy12015-01-13 00:46

    Sounds like a plan. Skidder operators are not worth what a top notch hoe, dozer, or scraper operator is unless they can run all four like a pro. Then they MIGHT be worth up to $30, maybe more. Otherwise, they are just a glorified laborer. Sorry if I'm offending any of you skidder operators.

  3. #3bjs2015-01-13 11:19

    hey thanks guys this helps a lot and no offending here . just trying to get a ball park figure to pay a real good operator . just never payed anyone before ive always worked it . but need someone on this job . thanks again yall .

  4. #4Queenslander2015-01-14 04:11

    $15/hr would almost be considered slave labour over here, even given the variation because of exchange rates. I pay my casual operators about double that at the moment but plenty are getting way more than this. This might change in the future though with the mining and gas boom almost a distant memory. Cheers, Greg

  5. #5CM19952015-01-14 07:07

    One has to consider the cost of living, taxes, etc of a region before any comparison of wages even begins to equate.:cool2 Since I am located one state over from bjs, $15 an hour starting out for a good operator is normal. Depending on the perks - truck, fuel, phone, etc and the time on the job a good operator that is a self starter is worth $18-20 once established with the company.

  6. #6Queenslander2015-01-15 06:44

    I agree totally CM1995. Although not related to the OP's question, I guess the point I was trying to make is that $Au15/hr is below the minimum wage for Australia, the highest in the world, if this chart is to be believed. Cheers, Greg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_wages_by_country

  7. #7JS3002015-01-18 13:35

    I talked to a friend about running my skid steer for me on a place we bought and he wanted around $12.50 just to drive the skid. He had been running one for a guy for $15 but that included dealing with customers and mechanic work. He was given a pick up and supplied tools to drive to job sites. I may have him run mine as he has time this spring and summer.

  8. #8mitch5042015-01-18 18:24

    You probably won't be taking taxes out, if so, your $12.50 is worth more than $15

  9. #9JS3002015-01-18 18:50

    You are right I wouldn't be taking out taxes. I might send 1099 if labor really added up. I have several full time employees and people would really be suprised how much employees really cost the employer. This fellow is going to work for me at his liesure. If he wants to work 10 hours a week or 60 would be good with me. I think $15 - $17.50 would be good wage if for someone running your machine for the public.

  10. #10CM19952015-01-18 19:09

    Then the take home pay is not the same and the guy will be left with a lump sum tax bill at the end of the year. I agree. However someone has to pay the taxes for profit earned by the business, one way or the other. Unless it's total cash, in $100's, for services rendered.:thumbsup

  11. #11JS3002015-01-18 20:01

    Sometimes $100's are best sometimes not. I do think everyone should pay taxes. I definately pay my fair share.

  12. #12CM19952015-01-18 20:15

    I'll take them every chance I get, which is not often.

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2015-01-18 20:53

    Working commercial and industrial work, cash is very hard to come by. Working for private landowners it is more common, but that business comes with its own set of headaches.