Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Turbo’s on my 416 C Hoe?

Oldcraneguy ยท 2011-09-21 17:40

Ive got oil piddling out of the hose between the turbo(cold side) and the intake manifold on my 2000 model 416C Im assuming its time to put a kit in the turbo but I cant read the data plate until I get it off. Its a Garrett pump on a Perkins engine. Id like to have kit in hand before I pull it apart... any info would be appreciated, thanks....OCG

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2011-09-21 17:53

    Machine Serial Number .......??

  2. #2Lee-online2011-09-21 19:56

    Is it a 1wr? If so there are a few serial breaks so the whole serial number will get you the correct part number.

  3. #3Oldcraneguy2011-09-21 21:21

    Sorry, It took so long to find my info, the serial # looks like 5YN0469 the engine # is 5HK67678 Ive got a part # out of the book for the turbo (7C3446) but Im trying to find the Garrett # so I can just get a kit.....OCG

  4. #4Nige2011-09-22 07:08

    For the 7C-3446 turbo you have a couple of options, from Cat anyway: - 1. Remanufactured turbo - Part Number 0R-4543 2. Turbocharger Repair Kit - Part Number 7W-2582 (INCLUDES CLAMPS, BOLTS, NUTS, BEARINGS, SEALS, PLATES, AND RINGS) 3. Housing As. (Cartridge basically) - Part Number 7C-4930 Even if the turbo is manufactured by Garrett you may find that the plate has only a Caterpillar part number on it, that would be normal. This may help your local turbo parts specialist, or it may not.

  5. #5Oldcraneguy2011-09-22 07:35

    Thanks very much for the info, I'll check on the kit today. Do you know if any special tools are required? I haven't built a turbo before but I figure theres a first time for everything. Ive got a press and a dozen different pullers but it seems lately everything has a special puller, at any rate thanks again for the info and wish me luck....OCG

  6. #6Nige2011-09-22 09:08

    Nothing special required to disassemble the turbo down as far as the cartridge. However the Service Manual has absolutely nothing on how to disassemble & reassemble the cartridge itself. I would imagine at the very least it would need some sort of fixture to hold the turbine wheel so that you can get the nut off the other end plus some sort of puller to then get the compressor wheel off. Sorry can't be of any more help. I suggest you compare the prices of the repair kit and a cartridge, and balance one against the other bearing in mind that the cartridge can be directly installed in the turbine/compressor housings where the kit would need major disassembly of the cartridge to install it, and at the end of it all the best you would have is a repaired cartridge of unknown quality. From what I can see the repair kit is about $200, the cartridge $1200 (new), & a Reman turbo around $800 (approx. - your prices may be different). Your other option would be to get a repair kit and have a turbo specialist install it in your existing cartridge for you. At least that way you'd have some guarantee of repair quality.

  7. #7case44rs2011-09-22 20:06

    I work for a case delaer......we service a lot of these cat units with Perkins power..get the model and serial number off of the Engine-go to Perkins Distributor-half the price of Cat!