Anyone know what type of hydraulic fittings these are? Some are looking a bit iffy and I’m not sure if I’ll go ahead and replace them or grab a few new ones to have on-hand just in case. Once I get this machine out to my remote property I’ll be screwed if I blow a hose. At least for a while until I can get back to my home base and the hydraulic shop. So I’d rather not pull one now. Not sure if there are certain terms for fittings…but it seems in the past when I’ve bought them and I’ve bought many hoses but it was always with another hose in-hand and I give it to them and say here make me one like this! It’s an old IHI 28UX made in Japan so the fittings are metric. ~16.4 mm across the outside of the threads. 22 mm across flats of nuts. Working from memory the shop will always give some terms of the types of fittings and I paid zero attention because I didn’t need to know. I’m considering buying online if I can get a better deal, or at least enough to make a difference.
Most likely BPP, British Pipe Parallel.
Never heard of that thread. I looked it up and it says that Japanese machines use that type of threads. You’re probably right. I’ll talk to my hydraulic shop too. I’ll be repacking a few cylinders so I can take them a fitting.
British Pipe Parallel and British Pipe Taper are very common in Asia. It goes back to and is a holdover from the British Colonial Days. Other metric threads evolved in Asia, JIS thread, Komatsu JIS, but the British thread fittings are very common for Asia machines.
I’m a bit confused. I looked up and read that they use imperial sizes. Wow, I really thought it would be metric. But like you said it seems like a very common system used in Japan and other places. So when I look up hydraulic hoses and see JIC that’s not going to work for my machine then. Assuming I confirm it is BPP. I did notice one place has BPP to JIC.
That's for sure not JIC. JIC is SAE threads. And yes, Imperial threads are not necessarily metric. Believe it or not there was a time when the Brits used fractions, before they went full metric, that's Imperial threads. And to my knowledge, or the lack of, I think the Aussies still hold to a fraction measure, haven't gone full metric just yet, maybe it's their way of fighting back against the man, being convict island from the colonial days. But then I may be all full of crap in my old age. LoL
JIC won’t work. I agree with Willie59 that’s BPP/BSPP. I tossed the BSPP in to make it even more confusing. You could purchase some BSPP caps and plugs just to confirm fit and size.
touché, BSPP, British Standard Pipe Parallel.
The currently produced, intermodal tank equipment is still all BSPP. Interesting, it has stuck around so long.
I had to research this a bit to understand the fittings.The hose ends have 30 degree tapers and the fittings that screw into the valve body will have o-rings under the adjustment nut, if i'm not mistaken. I never understood how those seal, but i think i see it now. The threaded part of the fitting doesnt have to be tight so that you can align it in the direction you need it to go. Then the adjustment nut will compress the o-ring against the valve body seat and the shaft of the fitting.
If I'm not mistaken, the person you met in the store was Chinese or purchased from Chinese. Your part looks like a hydraulic hose made of a rubber-wrapped steel mesh. Because the hydraulic hose can be customized in length, the connector screws are universal for many models. I need your old part as a reference.