I was wondering what type of jacks everyone uses to jack up their skid steers to change tires or do other maintance. Where do you place them so as not to damage the undercarrage and what tonnage are they rated to lift? If the skid steer weighs almost 8,000 pound do you need a jack rated at that weight or would a 2000 pound rated jack work ok? Sound kind of stupid but I have seen jacks fail under pressure and that would be just my luck. Anybody use anything special to block them up so as not to damage undercarrage? Thanks, Airedale
The best jack for a machine in the field is a block under the rear of the machine and then raise the front with the bucket untill all 4 tires are off of the ground. In the shop a 5 ton floor jack under the front , rear or just in front of the rear tires will lift the machine from the side if the chain boxes are outboard.
Thanks, Goose. I new there must be an esay way to do it. My floor jack is only one ton. I will invest in a 5 ton. Thanks again. Airedale
Nope, you ain't gonna get up on a skid with a 1 ton jack. I'm spoiled by having a 10 ton floor jack as well as an overhead crane.
because of the rigid frame of a skid steer, you need a large jack - something like a 5 ton will do nicely for most skids. I have a 3 ton and attempting to jack the unit up to change tires is very difficult. Personally, I am looking for a new jack, but have not found one I like at the right price :-D yet.
The bucket and heavy block in the rear work great, I have 2.5 ton floor jack and lift one side at a time. I try to always use blocks or stands for safety, because I am attached to my body parts and would like to keep it that way...hahha. Also Check Northern tool supply or harbor freight tool supply for good deals on jacks and floor stands. good luck