Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What was the coolest thing you ever saw?

RobVG · 2009-11-12 13:10

We were building gabions along a road for the state. One section of wall had to be cut right up to the telephone poles and the cut was about 14'. When it came time to do that section, the foreman for the GC moved a big ditch box accross the road and nudged it up to the telephone pole so the top and bottom braces of the box touched the pole. They then chained the pole to each brace and placed another ditch box accross the top of the first for a counter weight. They had to do this for two poles and when the cut was all done those poles were hanging in mid-air complete with live power and comm lines. I've seen a few cool things but this takes the cake for me. Has anyone seen this done? Is there something that sticks in your mind?

Replies35
  1. #1catd8t2009-11-12 18:29

    um mines was last year it was cool wonce we knew the operator was ok . our 385 was digging it the face of the shot rock we had and an unexploded cap was there he bit right in it it exploded and blew rock everywhere ripped all the hydo lines out and and broke just about everything on it the drives everything. but the cab was fine. then well we need to fix it so we had a 988 pulling and a d10 pushing it for like a half a mile. i wish i had pictures i found it cool and so did the other guys but not the bosses hahaha

  2. #2928G Boy2009-11-13 01:00

    Was that at Wuskwatim Hydro Dam with Pennecon? I heard that exact same story from a surveyor up there. Kiewit and Smooks were blasting in there before Pennecon showed up... Seems there was a bunch of undetonated caps there... Operator saw it, knew he only had one chance... put the bucket down on top of the cap to shield himself. BOOM. 85 ton hoe does a bunny hop.

  3. #3Dualie2009-11-14 01:16

    seen a girl hang upside down from one leg on a rafter and hulla hoop. thats was probably the coolest thing i ever seen. Close second was the cops drug a dude outta of a 2 axle dump truck and tasered him on my drive into work one day

  4. #4spitzair2009-11-14 01:48

    This thing!!! I have many more pictures if anybody's interested...

  5. #5RonG2009-11-14 03:57

    What kind of 'copter is that?Did it bring in all that equipment?Ron G

  6. #6catd8t2009-11-14 09:10
  7. #7nedly052009-11-14 09:17

    UM.....YEAH! and maybe a little more about what it is that you are doing!

  8. #8Steve Frazier2009-11-14 10:49

    Russian built Mil-26 Crew/passengers 5/82 Dimensions (length/height/width, m): Fuselage 35,91/8,145/3,6 Cabin 12,1/3,2/3,1 Rotor's diameter 32 The number of blades 8-main rotors +5 anti-torque rotors Weights and loaded (kg): Maximum take-off weight 56 000 Normal take-off weight 49 500 Base weight without load 28 150 The weight of maximum load 20 000 Total fuel capacity in main tanks, in liters 12 000 Aircraft performance characteristics: Maximum speed 295 km\h Course speed 250 km\h Static ceiling 1,800 m Dynamic ceiling 4,600 m Operational range 590 km Ferry range 1,920 km I've watched 2 operation with helicopters, although they weren't this model. One was a steel beam structure being built using a helicopter as a crane in New Milford, Conn., the other was Christmas trees being harvested from a field along I80 in Pennsylvania. The helicopter lifted out bunches of trees and dropped them on a flatbed trailer at the edge of the field. It's amazing what these machines can do.

  9. #9580bruce2009-11-14 11:56

    MORE PICS----------------MORE PICS-----------------MORE PICS,and some details please!

  10. #10AtlasRob2009-11-14 12:07

    Coolest thing I've seen this year has got to be a toss up between Randys post with the exc sat in the back of the ADT working above the gabion wall,.......and Eddies pimped Kubota............. but I'm just a sad machine freak

  11. #11580bruce2009-11-14 12:13

    This pails in comparison to the chopper.I once graded off a steep slope with a tugboat chain between two cats.One of the coolest anyway.

  12. #12spitzair2009-11-14 12:50

    Ok, more to come this evening, I'm just at work... I took them at the Galore creek project 2 years ago... I'll provide all the details I know then so stay tuned... How's that for a teaser???

  13. #13RobVG2009-11-14 14:11

    That Helo reminds me... This doesn't really count because I saw it on the Discovery channel but they helicoptered a dozer and one guy up to cut a haul road down from a mountain top copper mine in Asia. I was looking for the story and found this: Nice little read

  14. #14Dominion 4102009-11-14 22:06

    Cool things, That helicopter is pretty wild looking. Would like to see the Discovery channel show RobVG is mentioning.What size dozer? That fellow on the D8 must have been quite a character.The whole article was good reading. Dominion:canada

  15. #15RobVG2009-11-14 22:34

    I'm not sure if it was a Discovery show or a History Chanel "Modern Marvels". I wish I could find something about it. I don't remember the size of the dozer but I think they transported it in one piece. What was really amazing was there was no surveying- they just let the guy figure out how to get down. I believe he did it for million$ less than the mining company was originally quoted and in alot less time.

  16. #16spitzair2009-11-14 22:35

    Ok, here they are. There will be quite a number of them. Mods, feel free to move this to another thread if it doesn't fit here...

  17. #17spitzair2009-11-14 22:43

    More...

  18. #18spitzair2009-11-14 22:54

    mas... Picture 1&2 flying out a rock truck Picture 3 Inside the monster. Picture 4 Overhead crane. THere's one on either side with a capacity of 5500 lbs each so they don't have to drag stuff across the floor. Picture 5 The cargo hook. Red lever is the drop lever. The loadmaster sat back here and looked down through the hole and told the pilot which direction to maneuver the machine.

  19. #19spitzair2009-11-14 23:00

    More yet... 1) Inside the back standing on the ramp. The fellow in the picture is 6'6" tall... 2) Built-in creeper. 3) Tailrotor Driveshaft. Note the different length heads on the bolts for balancing... 4) Inside the tailboom... 5) Hotplate for cooking lunch! They told me they can cook an entire turkey on it! On the opposite side of the fuselage they had a water boiler. At least that's what they called it, I still think it was really a Vodka still...

  20. #20928G Boy2009-11-14 23:04

    Spitzair: I guess you worked for Sigfusson at Galore Creek Mine? That's all their equipment in the pics, eh? A guy from Sigfusson showed me a bunch of those pics, pretty cool, keep the pics coming! I had some pics of some destroyed Sigfusson equipment on that job... I think it was a 730 or something... rolled down a hill? Can't remember. And I seem to remember a story about an ambulance flying off a low bed...

  21. #21spitzair2009-11-14 23:08

    Even more!!!

  22. #22928G Boy2009-11-14 23:09

    The coolest thing I ever saw would be the blasting I saw near Squamish in 2007 with Kiewit, specifically the night that the highway was compressed like 6" by blast rock, and the train tracks got busted, and the hydro lines got hit... But one of the most surprising things I ever saw would have to be this...

  23. #23spitzair2009-11-14 23:16

    Last batch... 928, I didn't work for Sigfusson but did work at the Galore creek project for Quantum Helicopters. Yeah, the ambulance was dropped, but not from a lowbed, instead, they were slinging it under the KA-32 Kamov when the rigging failed. It ended up in a creek and you'd never be able to tell what it was. I'll see if I can find a picture of it. I'll go back and edit my posts soon to give details of all the pictures.

  24. #24spitzair2009-11-14 23:35

    Here's the carnage pictures of the Ambulance and one of a Tamrock drill that got "abused"... That's all for now, I promise!

  25. #25928G Boy2009-11-15 01:22

    lol nice ambulance... Tamrock looks thoroughly destroyed LOL what Russian cargo helicopter would be complete without a vodka still? nice.

  26. #26AtlasRob2009-11-15 13:34

    Great pictures but it only confirms my feelings for them. STAY WELL AWAY

  27. #27JDOFMEMI2009-11-15 14:25

    Boy, I sure hope their insurance was paid up. I would hat to get the bill for the recovery and replacement of the 2 "mistakes" Great set of pics.

  28. #28928G Boy2009-11-17 00:23

    Money is no object when you're building a gold mine... lol until they actually ran out of money. and shut that job down. Sigfusson still finished building the roads, even though the project was cancelled before they finished.

  29. #29cummins052009-11-17 05:09

    sure don't hear or see of any big exciting jobs like this anymore hope they come back im getting bored

  30. #30AtlasRob2009-11-17 08:47

    I am quite sure I have seen that same program. Is it not now one of the biggest mines of its type. Cant remember if it was gold, or other precious metal but the way the first road was cut is exactly as you describe. I cant remember the size of dozer, I seem to think the first track was quite small probably due to the lift limit of the chopper that put him up there in the first place, he started at the top and made it fit. :notworthy then they opened it up with bigger machines once they had access. I seem to recall seeing film of dozers hauling the truck loads of gear up the track to build the mine at the top, buildings, power, machines, the lot went in the same way.

  31. #31EdB2009-11-17 11:20

    I project I was involved in . . . Latter part of 1968. The sky-crane couldn't lift the complete dozer, so they had to remove the tracks and blade and then bring them in on the second lift and put it together on-site. They also brought in a smallish IHC back-loader to help with digging the bunkers. Last pic of the completed job. Pictures are kinda crappy compared to today's digital cameras, but it's all we had at the time.

  32. #32ben46a2009-11-18 19:53

    The show was "Goldmine in the sky" Covering the construction an development of Freeports Ertsberg and Newer Grasberg Mines in Indonesia. I just may have seen it myself a time or two

  33. #33AtlasRob2009-11-19 12:11

    Thanks ben, I know what to search for now. :thumbsup

  34. #34hammerdwn202009-11-19 20:12

    We did a similar idea on a job we were doing. Power company was dragging their feet on moving the pole so we backed a tractor trailer up to it and chained to the bottom and top of the trailer. the trailer was on a vacant property owned by the bank. They showed up one day and said the trailer was getting towed out of there if it wasnt moved right away. We said go ahead but your taking a pole with it. nothing ever happened and the trailer was moved a few days later.

  35. #35Reuben2009-11-20 17:40

    What was the coolest thing I ever saw..HMMMMM..Well this one time my wife......eh never mind.:falldownlaugh