Were thinking about buying a wheel loader for our farm. It needs to be a cat. I was thinking tool carrier, we need quicktatch so we can go from bucket to forks. It seems like several of the IT 28s Ive seen have new engines. We were wondering what to look out for on tool carriers. My dad was wanting to get an older one like a 920. Any tips or advise would be great I dont know much about wheel loaders. Thanks
Choices ? The IT was made just for that purpose. Changing tools as needed. Bucket ,forks, broom, etc. The others are just for continual use. like buckets. The IT's are the parallelgram linkage, and the other is Z bar linkage. The old 920 ??? I don't know ??? For your useage I'd buy the IT versions. Talk to your Caterpillar Dealer about the pros and cons.
The 920 is a parrallelogram linkage, but you would probably find it difficult to find one set up with quicktach. The 920 is also a fair bit smaller than the IT28B, an IT14 would be a closer match to the 920.
Not sure what engine the IT28 has. Have one IT24 that we work on, has the 3114, on the 3rd engine in 8000 hours. The last one lasted 1500 hours. Even though it doesn't get the best of care, never have been impressed with those engines. Takes too many speacial tools just to adjust valves, injectors. Might consider that in your choice.
My cat salesman has sent pics of two It28s one has 9,000hrs on the original engine the other had 5,000 and a new engine. Some one told me they had 3116s a motor which I have no use for. I thoght all loaders that size had four cylinders. Me or my dad would run it, and care would be pretty good. What engine should I look for
Not sure but think the number was a 928(926??) Cat loader that just sold at a sale the 18th in Neb. I also thought it had a Balderdon bucket and forks.Sorry! It's probably long gone,but might ask into info for that loader. Might consider a Deere 644, or Case 621,you might find there not as bad as you think.You really need to try to get some demo time in.At least try at there lots. Not a good time to try with the cold weather,but then again if they will run and start in this stuff they have to have something going for them.Good luck:usa
Fairly sure the earlier IT28's had the 3204T
Yes, the IT28B has a 3204T in it. The one thing I really disliked on the CAT loaders was having to reach down and pull up on the throttle pedal to shut them off. In a farm setting that's not always fun, especially when other brands just require turning off the ignition switch. I don't know when CAT went away from this. One thing I always liked about the Deere loaders is that many of the parts are available at both the ag and the industrial dealers. When it's down, the more possibilities the better, and they ALL break.
Thanks, Ive been running a fiat on a church parking lot. We borrowed it from our local elevator. Its not much but it works. Deere ag equipment is all we run, but Ive never had good luck with there construction equipment. Weve got other cat equipment so parts isnt a biggie. Running that fiat is what got us wanting a wheel loader though, its a lot heavier than a tractor and loader. My cat dealer (Deans) can get us the balderson quicktatch but it aint cheap. My dad called and asked about one today and 5-6,000 was the price he got. Im going to try to test drive a cat as soon as the weather gets a little better.
Just currious....what experience do you have with Deere construction equipment??
Graders and dozers.
i was just curiouse why it has to be a cat, far be it from me not to recommend cat but the wheeled loader market is so wide open, with alot of less expensive choices. when i was groing up working for my dad, we had a case w-11 it ran for years and years, loading feed everyday cleaning corrals loading round bales, for a dairy it was one of our daily tools that got used and used.
Ill do some checking on the deeres.
I am very impressed with the Volvo L60-L90's for quick-tatch. I am a Huge Cat fan but i must have to say i like Volvo loaders for multi-purpose uses. Cats are excellent for grading but the volvos are better for multi uses. I run these with forks bucket and clearing rake.