Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What would cause a cylinder to do this?

Canadian_digger · 2020-07-06 15:06

Have a John Deere 200D with a JRB pin grabber. Last spring it quite working properly. The seals on the piston blew out. Not about 14 month later and around 500 working hours it failed again. I had it rebuilt by a reputable shop. They made all new internals for it. Including the piston that you see cracked. How can I prevent this from happening again?

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-07-06 15:22

    What does the barrel bore look like ?

  2. #2John C.2020-07-06 20:39

    Which cylinder is that? That scars on the rod kind of indicates to me that the wear bushing inside the gland was worn out and not replaced. Other issue is that the clearances inside the gland and the barrel might have been a touch too loose. As Tinkerer says "What does the barrel bore look like?" I'm sure there is a story in there to be told.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2020-07-06 21:31

    I didn’t take any pictures of the bore before I sent it to get rebuilt.

  4. #4Canadian_digger2020-07-06 21:32

    It’s the cylinder to opens and closes the wedge on a hydraulic quick coupler

  5. #5heymccall2020-07-06 21:43

    Excessive beating of soil (tamping) with the heel of the bucket.

  6. #6heymccall2020-07-06 23:42

    Yup, we've destroyed nearly every hydraulic (and manual) coupler here.

  7. #7uffex2020-07-07 06:12

    Good day I would suggest that you focus on the cause with the goal of being prevention of another failure, there are a number of possible cause including ingress - dieseling can be prevented by full stroking the cylinder in both directions without any pressure - failure to provide relief and as pointed out the condition of the jacket is an important point. Attached a cylinder repair document whilst in the main is regarding larger cylinders the same principles apply. Kind regards Uffex