Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What would you do ?

searcyfarms ยท 2022-11-23 21:47

Have to spend some money due to capital gains looking at a used 333G and 299D3 one has about 500 less hours but no significant difference is physical condition or warranty for either i would buy I have driven both, only thing i didnt really care for was teh low back el cheapo seat in the deere vs teh high back seat in the cat. Didnt seem that much different in operating just moving dirt. I will be doing a lil of everything - some rotary disk mulching from time to time. Curious to hear what you have to say out there one vs teh other in reliability, and like/dislikes there are a couple other minor things but honestly no definitive deal breakers i welcome your comments and thoughts since this is a major big purchase for me and a loan will have to be engaged thanks in advance - robert

Replies13
  1. #1skata2022-11-26 01:37

    How about a Takeuchi?

  2. #2Shimmy12022-11-26 04:17

    If you are trying to avoid CG, why are you financing? If you are trying to mitigate capital gains, why would you need to finance?

  3. #3Vetech632022-11-26 07:47

    Both are excellent machines in my opinion. I'd go with the machine that has the closest dealer support...........providing that dealer is worth a crap.

  4. #4grandpa2022-11-26 08:24

    You asked. I would pay the capitol gains, take the gains and buy a CD! Short term, as interest rates are climbing monthly.

  5. #5searcyfarms2022-11-26 08:30

    thanks for the reply first of all, the takeuchi are great machines but the ride was not great for me and spending 10 hours in one is the reason i am leaning towards a cat vs the deere, i have spent 10 hours in a cat with no issues multiple days in a row, the el cheapo seat in the deere was not very comfortable so my thoughts were if I get a better deal on the deere to put a high back seat in it like the cat and see how I get along, also the deere seat back doesnt tilt back at all it only goes vertical and thats it, not sure why because there is plenty of clearance behind it - i have ran a takeuchi for cleanup and grading and they are great machines just a little - i love the spaciousness of the takeuchi and the kubota

  6. #6searcyfarms2022-11-26 08:34

    thanks for the suggestion, my capital gains owed are more than 30K thats a lot of $$ for me to just write to uncle joe for him to waste. I am looking at doing more work when i retire so trying to build up client base in the coming few yrs and dont have my own machine now so hard to be competitive pricing things unless its a BIG job. We will be investing some of the $$, tithing and planning for future retirement. Still considering much of the quandry

  7. #7searcyfarms2022-11-26 08:37

    both dealers are close and I have had great experience with the cat folks havent had any with the deere since I dont own a machine of theirs - honestly i am i noticed the deere has a different track roller setup and never have thrown a track off the cat was wondering if anyone has had any issues with throwing a track off a deere 333G - I have throw a track off a new holland a x or two and also a takeuchi

  8. #8searcyfarms2022-11-26 08:40

    because the capital gains $$ is no where near what it would cost for a machine and with it being only a part time business I can afford the payments with my current job - I also will be selling a trailer and another wheeled skid to put against the loan so plan to pay it down quick with the jobs and sales of other things I am selling. We are investing part of the money we made also, its not like it was a windfall of loads of $$ or trust me I would be paying for it outright. Thanks for the suggestion, just trying to make a good decision with the blessings and provision the Lord is trusting us with.

  9. #9Tones2022-11-26 16:38

    Seeing as you want a good riding machine have considered ASV? IMHO there're better riding than a cat.

  10. #10searcyfarms2022-11-26 17:59

    No dealer support around me - ive driven one

  11. #11Chrisso2022-11-26 18:13

    A smaller machine (259D3 for example) will keep you away from DEF and all the problems associated with it... at least down here in Oz. Assume that's the case in North America?

  12. #1292U 34062022-11-26 18:29

    As of 2 years ago only the 299D had the DEF in the tracked machine lineup. No idea what Cat does nowadays.

  13. #13Chrisso2022-11-26 23:42

    That's still the case, I mentioned the 259D3 because these are what I see the most of around here. Straight from the Cat web site... from 239D3 to 289D3 all hover around the 70-odd horsepower mark, only real differences are operating weights. 299D3 models (there's three of them) approaches and exceeds the 100hp mark, which seems to be the trigger point for DEF.