Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What year is this?

roselvane · 2026-03-29 09:14

I have an old ford backhoe can’t seem to get much information on it wondering if someone out there can help the plate says tractor number is B510352 model is DF211K unit is 0A18B engine is 462328 0A17 transmission is 0A07B rear axle is 0A11B I have ascertained the model is a 555 I believe but unsure if it’s a 555, 555a, 555c any help would be appreciated

Replies38
  1. #1oarwhat2026-03-30 08:41

    post a picture .

  2. #2roselvane2026-03-30 10:02

    When I get home I’ll take a picture of it a little more looking around on web I’d say it’s a 550 not a 555

  3. #3oarwhat2026-03-30 13:17

    A 550 has a chain the swings the hoe. Also the backhoe controls on a 550 are much sloppier. They have a linkage to the valve body. 555 controls are connected direct

  4. #4roselvane2026-03-30 18:35

    So it’s a 550 I have no chains that swing the hoe it seems the swing control is incorporated into the swing pin ( never saw this before on a hoe ) now if I could figure the year need to order swing seals

  5. #5roselvane2026-03-30 18:36

    Oh and haven’t gotten home yet to take pics I’ll probably do that in the morning getting dark now

  6. #6roselvane2026-03-30 18:39

    And thanks for the replies just read your reply again I have no chains that swing the hoe but I have linkages to the valve body controls

  7. #7roselvane2026-03-30 18:40

    And thanks for the replies just read your reply again I have no chains that swing the hoe but I have linkages to the valve body control

  8. #8roselvane2026-03-30 21:19
  9. #9roselvane2026-03-30 21:25

    This is her haven’t really seen this setup on newer machines with straight out riggers and no swing pistons had a 57 massy Harris with similar design for the our riggers

  10. #10Welder Dave2026-03-31 02:10

    Don't think side shift was very common on Fords but I'd say it's before a 555.

  11. #11oarwhat2026-03-31 08:47

    I've never seen a Ford with that kind of backhoe. Interesting and rare.

  12. #12roselvane2026-03-31 11:02

    Well I don’t know at this point but I’m getting the idea it’s a 550 it has linkages to the valve body for the hoe and I’m told a 555 has no linkage it direct to the valve body and I can only find one other on the net by model number on some auction site that one is listed as a 550 not sure the some one else told me the vin makes it a 1980 production but I don’t think they produced the 550 in 80?

  13. #13Deere500a2026-03-31 13:30

    Ford started late 70's new design 550 80s saw 455/555/655. The side shift hoe & 1980 sounds right.

  14. #14roselvane2026-03-31 20:21
  15. #15roselvane2026-03-31 20:21
  16. #16roselvane2026-03-31 20:22
  17. #17roselvane2026-03-31 20:23
  18. #18roselvane2026-03-31 20:23
  19. #19roselvane2026-03-31 20:25

    Here are more pics as you can see in the pics it has linkages to the valve body and if I search on the net by model number it comes up with a 550

  20. #20roselvane2026-03-31 20:36

    Also I’m looking for the swing seals for the hoe haven’t had any luck yet

  21. #21Deere500a2026-03-31 21:46

    Gray Market hoe

  22. #22Welder Dave2026-04-01 00:21

    In the rotary cylinder? They may be hard to find. Might have to try looking in the UK. Might have to take it apart and see if a seal shop could match them. It's possible the shaft could worn too. If so could probably be repaired by metal spray welding and turning down to size. That's what I had to do on my Cat hoe. Vane seals were still good but R&R was about $3500.

  23. #23oarwhat2026-04-01 08:27

    That explains it.!

  24. #24roselvane2026-04-01 08:33

    So you think it’s a 555 with a gray market unit or a 550 total gray market unit for me the date code seems to be an issue for a 550

  25. #25Deere500a2026-04-01 09:22

    USA used swing cylinders later or early was chain the swing motor is the give away it's a 1975's 550 gray market maybe British offer her some tea try be friends

  26. #26OzDozer2026-04-01 09:36

    I was led to believe Ford tractors with a serial number starting with "B" were built in Belgium. I also believe the 0A18B, 0A7B, 0A11B are manufacturing date codes - as in.... 0A18B (Interpretation: Jan 18, 1970/1980/1990/2000/2010): 0: Year (e.g., 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010) A: January (A=Jan, B=Feb, ..., M=Dec, excluding 'I') 18: Day of the month. B: Shift or production code (optional). 0A7B (Interpretation: Jan 7, 1970/1980/1990/2000/2010): 0: Year A: January 7: Day of the month. B: Shift/Production code. 0A11B (Interpretation: Jan 11, 1970/1980/1990/2000/2010): 0: Year A: January 11: Day of the month. B: Shift/Production code.

  27. #27Deere500a2026-04-01 10:22
  28. #28roselvane2026-04-01 21:04

    And model number?

  29. #29roselvane2026-04-01 21:06

    I don’t see how it could be a 1975 with the date code it has on the motor, transmission, and rear axle and I don’t think it’s a gray market attachment the model number indicates a backhoe

  30. #30Welder Dave2026-04-01 21:43

    It's not really a gray market like, Japanese machines, just made for the European market. As for age 1975-1978 seems correct.

  31. #31Deere500a2026-04-01 21:53

    Paint it hwy yellow call it a Caterpillar the whole tractor ie backhoe is gray market not 1 part

  32. #32roselvane2026-04-04 20:49
  33. #33roselvane2026-04-04 20:51

    Best pics I can get but can anyone give me some info on this valve body on the hoe linkage very sloppy will be rebuilding the linkage system figured while I’m there I’d go the valve body clean and reseal

  34. #34roselvane2026-04-04 20:52
  35. #35roselvane2026-04-04 20:53

    This is the only number plate I can find on the hoe assembly attached to the control tower

  36. #36oarwhat2026-04-05 07:29

    You have a very rare machine IMHO. I doubt anyone will have much info on your backhoe. For the rest of the machine I'm sure we could help.

  37. #37roselvane2026-04-05 08:44
  38. #38roselvane2026-04-05 08:46

    Can anyone tell me the function of this valve? It’s bolted to the backhoe control tower and seems like the top portion is broken off