Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What you use to haul a D3 size dozer

Krackerjack9 ยท 2007-12-11 00:33

HI been getting some different answers on what people use to haul their equipment with. If you had Dozer that weighed at 16,000lbs sure you need a 20,000lbs gooseneck trailer or tag along trailer but would your recomend to tow this with??

Replies36
  1. #1nedly052007-12-11 05:08

    Personally I wouldnt haul it with any thing less than a truck with 26K GVW. Although a 18K GVW truck like an F550 is probably adequate.

  2. #2mikef872007-12-11 05:32

    I use my peterbilt 6 wheeler with a 20 ton tag trailer. I wouldn't haul it with a truck smaller than that. A 9 ton trailer would be sufficient, but all I have is a 20 ton.

  3. #3bobcat ron2007-12-11 11:34

    An F550 wouldn't last very long, sure they can haul that weight, but it puts an enormous stress on the transmission and rear end, something like a small Pete or Freightliner would be nice.

  4. #4dirt man2007-12-11 19:33

    dirt man I have hauled a jd 450j with a gooseneck and a dodge 350 cummins..It did just fine

  5. #5Tn Bulldog2007-12-11 20:20

    We had a 50ton lowboy for the big jobs & hauling the larger equipment but far as our small dozers , self propelled sheeps foot roller & our 312B Cat trackhoe was pulled w/ a 25ton Eager beaver tag trailer & a Tri axle Mack later yall Bulldog

  6. #6Canevari Timber2007-12-11 20:21

    Ive hauled a d3 with my 2500 dodge and a 20,000 lb gooseneck in some fairly steep logging roads and it did just fine you just have to drive accordingly.

  7. #7ror76a2007-12-11 21:15

    Yes, a 3/4 ton pickup will haul a D3, for that matter a 1/2 ton probaly would haul it, and if it is a once a year move in good conditions that is a whole diffrent situation than if it is an every day move with conditons varying from ideal to somewhat less than ideal conditions (snow, ice, hills, and we need it moved now! ointhead) then I would say a heavy single axel (F750/F850/GM7500/8500) and at least a 9 ton trailer, better yet a 12 ton. I haul my D4, backhoe, roller, etc on a 12 ton trailer behind a tandem dump. One guy I know thought he could haul his 16,000lb backhoe on a gooseneck behind a 3/4 ton pickup, and it worked well for a while, then one day it got away on him and and his whole rig ended up on it's side in the ditch. It only takes one misshap like that too offset whatever your savings might be by running a smaller truck, and he was just lucky that no one got hurt. I think that you are better off running a truck and trailer that is rated a little over what your are going to be hauling than running one at the limit and risk making a mistake.

  8. #8iceberg2102007-12-11 23:32

    We're planning on moving our D3 with a 10 ton pintel hitch trailer behind a Dodge 3500 with a Cummins Diesel engine. We've already hauled our 8 ton Lion Lift All forklift with this set up. The guys above though are right because if you do that day in and day out you'll do a number on you're drive train. For running equipment around every single day I wouldn't suggest it but for the off time you need it or just hauling it every once in a while that this set up works best for. Since we're a sawmill we don't have to move our equipment very often but if we do its really nice to be able to do it without hiring a truck or getting a CDL. Plus the insurance on a 1 ton is far less than that of a larger truck as long as you don't need the larger truck that much.

  9. #9Steve Frazier2007-12-12 00:31

    Just wait 'til you get stopped by DOT.......

  10. #10PSDF3502007-12-12 07:20

    Because you are useing a 1 ton doesn't mean you dont need a CDL. You need one for anything over 10,000#

  11. #11HeyUvaVT2007-12-12 08:06

    not that i condone this action but i have hauled our 939 behind our f450 with a gooseneck...true it states from ford that the tow capacity is 24,500lbs with the gooseneck...and it hauled it just fine...however the pucker factor is there in force when approaching a stop light or steep downgrade...keep in mind its not just what you can pull...its more important what you can stop...

  12. #12MR SAFETY2007-12-12 15:40

    What are the DOT regulations for hauling a D3 to a D5 machine?

  13. #13PSDF3502007-12-12 16:08

    Don't know how this will show up. But here is page from NH CDL book.

  14. #14Countryboy2007-12-12 17:46

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums MR SAFETY! :drinkup

  15. #15golddigger2008-02-07 00:29

    I agree strongly w/ror76a, for the small amount of going a little beyond in your needs is worth a world of piece of mind. Mr Frazier couldn't be more on the mark when it comes to complying w/ DOT. They will recognize when your making the attempt at being safer than needed and if you don't they can put you out of business fast whether your making 1 trip a year or 1000. In what little I can add I would say any truck w/ 210hp and at least 26000 gvw. Wish you the best....

  16. #16Sam2008-02-07 02:42

    More and more drivers are complaining about Gestapo treatment, from DOT, these days. States are increasing fees, taxes, regulations and enforcement - across the board. Some are also not above using dirty tactics. Beware the heavy hand of gov't, at all levels.

  17. #17d6peg2008-02-07 19:53

    Not trying to be smart are anything but I dont have a problem with someone wanting to haul something 16000lbs with a one ton. Nearly all of the hot shotters run one tons and I know they haul over 16000lbs on many occasions. Just my $.02

  18. #18Steve Frazier2008-02-07 22:05

    You might not have a problem with it, but DOT will, and I'd love to see you argue with them. They run inspections here regularly. A one ton Chevy is rated to tow 16,500 pounds, 200 pounds more than the weight of a D3. Unless you can find a trailer with that capacity that weighs 200 pounds or less, you are in violation. Lord help you if there is an accident with injuries while towing this combination, attorneys will have a field day with you. Can it be done? Sure it can. Up here DOT fines are real heavy, I wouldn't want to get caught doing it, my truck would be impounded.

  19. #19d6peg2008-02-07 22:18

    Well, how do the hot shotters run all over the U.S. with over 16000 lbs? My father-in-law hot shots and crosses scales in every state without a problem. Here in Tx. we used to haul our little D4 with a 3/4 ton and a 21000 lb. trailer and we were stoped several times without a problem. I will agree when you have a bigger truck available I would rather haul anything over 10000 lbs on a semi vs. a pickup.

  20. #20Steve Frazier2008-02-07 23:01

    Perhaps your laws are different than ours. We can not exceed manufacturer specification of any equipment used in transportation. Just a week or so ago Tuney posted his experience with DOT where he had to purchase tires for his trailer to meet the weight he's carrying. DOT is pretty aggressive here and if you run that combination on a regular basis you will be impounded and face big fimes. And again, it is possible to physically move the machine with that truck, but it is not stable at all unless perhaps a gooseneck is used with enough weight on the truck. A pintle hitch trailer will toss the tow vehicle around, I know this from experience.

  21. #21nmmountainman2008-02-08 21:22

    thought i would pipe in here just briefly w/ my 2 cents. I joined this site to learn more about heavy equipment as I plan on purchasing a small dozer w/in the next year or so. I work for the 3rd largest auto insurer and our fastes business growth is in the commercial lines. I work everything from coverages, liability, property damages and injuries. If your ever "overloaded" and are at fault for an accident, you better have high limits on your liability coverages. if you cause major injuries, your insurance company will pop your limits and then the attorneys will run asset checks. they'll go after your business and any assets that are in your name seeing all that I have seen, I would never pull anything knowing ahead of time I was overweight. Your better off buying the proper trailer/truck or paying someone else to do it.

  22. #22Reuben2008-02-08 23:19

    Its a no brainer;who cares what is legal!! the point is;What is safer?! DOT is in place for one simple reason safety. Use your head if you are "puckering" then you obviously arent safe. sorry if I sound harsh

  23. #23PETE3792008-02-09 00:16

    Just like said earlier in this post, just because you can move it, doesnt mean you can stop it.

  24. #24RT Engineering2008-02-10 00:14

    One other little bit of information. Believe it or not, you need a CDL to pull a trailer that has a GVW of 10,000 lbs or more. It does not matter if it is loaded or not. Yes you are reading this correctly, it does not matter if the load is under 10,000 lbs, just the GVW. I know this thanks to the California DOT. At least my Cat 246 was chained down well, so I did not get the no- binder ticket. The good news: it's a fix-it ticket, cost me $10 and I had to get my CDL. And yes I did take the drive part of the test with the F-350 and the empty Trailmax trailer. I added the airbrake endorsement later when I bought my Ford L-9000. I agree with most others here, the amout you will save by moving the D3 yourself with the 1 Ton truck will be spent very quickly if there is even a small accident, and even if it is not your fault! RT

  25. #25xcavate2008-02-10 03:45

    RT What did you have to do to get the air brake endorsement? Did you have to take the whole test pretrip and driving over again or just the airbrake testing part? I got nabbed driving a ford 550 with a 16,000 lb trailer and i have to get my class a. I first had to go get the trailer and truck DOT certified and now i just have to go for my driving test.

  26. #26ror76a2008-02-10 12:44

    The next time I get stopped and am being harrased by the DOT because I have a tire that is getting low on tread, (on my leagal rig) I will ask them why they don't go after those "hot shotters" more often. I fear the real answer is that when they see big trucks they see big money, and big tickets. It seems like the more you try to comply with the rules the harder they are on you.:Banghead Couldn't have said it better myself, goes along with "just because it can, dosen't mean you should."

  27. #27RT Engineering2008-02-10 13:08

    Hey xcavate, Over all it was not too tough. I had to go to DMV, pass the written test (I also passed the air brake written), then get the medical card filled out by a doctor. Do not worry about that one, if you are breathing, you will pass. I then scheduled the on road driving test, you will probably fail the walk around inspection the first time- almost everybody does. The good news is that once you give up, the DMV guy (Who by the way does not have a CDL) completes the walk around inspection with you, just remember what he or she says, and reschedule. You need to say things like ' these are the break lights, the covers are red, which is the correct color, they are clean, and not broken' and ' this is the frame, I do not see any cracks, broken bolts, or illegal welds', etc. As for the driving, easy. All they make you do is drive around corners, back up to some cones simulating a dock, Cross the railroad tracks (do not shift), drive in front of a school, etc. If I remember right it was about 60 miles or so. Apparently DMV used to issue the air brake endorsement if you passed the written, no matter even if the truck driven in the test did not have air brakes- no longer. So to add the air brake endorsement, I had to pay to take the written airbrake test again, get the permit, and then schedule the driving test. This time just memorise the proceedure from the book, remember the cut in pressure, the static loss allowed for your vehicle, etc. For the air brake test they just had me do a quick inspection, then the air system tests, and a quick around the block. Done in 15 minutes. Hope this helps, RT

  28. #28thejdman042008-02-10 19:42

    One thing you got to keep in mind is a 20k lb trailer is what the vheicle will haul GROSS. Load and trailer. Say a 20k lb trailer weighs 7000 empty its payload or waht you can put on it is 14000lbs

  29. #29tuney4432008-02-10 22:36

    Not true at all.My 10 ton trailer weighs 5900 lbs. empty.The placard on it clearly states 20,000 lbs. for the load--max and a GVW of 25,900 lbs.

  30. #30DirtWorker2008-02-11 00:19

    Well here is my advise. Run up and write your D.Z license. Purchase a cheep dump truck, cut the box off. Weld two runners and winch powered ramp set up on her. Off you go to trim.

  31. #31RollOver Pete2008-02-11 01:11

    This site more or less spells it out. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing/online-registration/onlineregdescription.htm I already have a CDL and a commercial insurance policy with the proper liability and freight coverage. But thats still not good enough. I would need to apply for a USDOT # for my 06 Dodge Ram 3500, enter a safety program, register with the FMCSA, run a log book. All this due to the fact that the load I might haul came from another state. The loophole I use goes like this. The company(side job) that I might haul for buys the freight. Pumps, casing, well heads.... It becomes their property. That in itself means that I don't need to apply for all the garbage listed above. As far as crossing scales goes? The only time I will cross a scale is if I can enter the scale without having to come to a stop on the side of a freeway. Our famous Banning scales are always backed up out on the freeway. So I move over a lane and pretend like they aren't even there. Regardless of what I'm driving, pump rig, low bed, flat bed or my Dodge with 15.000 lbs of well casing on a tag along trailer... I have not stooped at Banning or any other scale in almost 4 years. Not that its right... I have an entirely different reason for not stopping at any California weigh stations. I'll save that for a different thread. I'm sure one day the man will chase me down... And we will end up in court....which is just what I want.

  32. #32VjjR2008-02-29 02:32

    what do you mean by hot shotters? im new here just trying to learn a few things. i also saw a d3 on a gooseneck behind a dodge in new mexico on a wildland fire. dont know what state he was from but contracted fire dozers come from all over and im sure he drives that out of state all the time.

  33. #33PETE3792008-03-01 09:02

    A hot shotter is a single axle truck, usually with hydraulic brakes, sometimes even as light as a 550 or an IH or freightliner with 19.5 inch rubber. These are the trucks you see pulling a two axle trailer with two or three cars, trucks or equipment on them.

  34. #34girlieracerk2008-03-08 10:15

    My two cents...lol I would say it depends on how far you are going. Where I live we use a f350 and a gooseneck for almost everything but we live in a small town and don't go too far. For everything else we use a Peterbilt and lowboy trailer.

  35. #35tuney4432008-03-08 19:55

    Have to ask---what exactly is ''almost everything''?

  36. #36CM19952008-03-08 20:14

    That is a good point. You need to make sure that the trailer manufacturer rates their trailers for payload and not GVW. It's kind of a shady practice they do - some manufacturer's rate their trailers at payload and some others state a GVW. So a 10 ton trailer rated at payload, you can haul 10 tons of whatever. A 10 ton trailer rated at its GVW means you need to subtract the trailer weight to get your legal payload weight.