Looking at the two side by side there a difference in the where the high point of the track is but what the advantage of the skidder over the D5H? Or is it that the 527 is exactly the same with a higher stance. And I know they have the D5H TSK which looks the exact same as the 527.
527 is designed to lift, pull,drag heavier loads than the D5H thats why there is more track out the back, harder to lift the front up I think they have more power. They are not as good at pushing less weight up front
The center of gravity on the 527 is in the middle of the sprockets. The D5 dozer is forward of that. I think there are two extra rollers on the logger and most that I've seen have a swing boom on the back. I don't recall if there is any difference in horse power. Both used the 3304 engine I believe.
527 is 150 hp D5 is about 100
Some of the designated skidders also have cats quad link track system where they have extra links on the outside and inside of the track plates to stiffen up the chains and to prevent twisting and breakage when climbing over stumps/logs etc.
I guess you were looking at a D5H TSK. The 527 is a latter model prob not a lot of difference
I like the 527 or the 5H but probably cant affford either. The 527 looks cooler but that is not a good reason to buy one. But I can dream.
The D5H TSK and 527 have the center of gravity move way forward (very nose heavy) so it acts as a counter wieght when pulling a turn and even at that it is very easy to make it walk on its hind quarters, plus they have more ground clearence than just an H better for stump jumping. Pian in the butt to try to do blade work with one when they are all gaurded up you can't hardly see your blade cause of all the screens. The D4H TSK that I run always runs HOT don't matter if your yarding uphill down hill Trany 215-230 water 200 + and it is obsessivly/religiously maintained and expensive to work on. I would keep your beautifull D6C, awsome machine, or if you need something that will pull a bigger turn try a D7E Hi horse power.
Turbo, that is some good info. I never considered the gaurding package and not being able to see the blade. where in oregon do you log?
Douglas county