Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheat Crop

Truck Shop · 2018-06-12 19:54

Picture is taken across the road from our shop. Dry land soft white should run 115 bushel, it usually does. Truck Shop

Replies46
  1. #1Bumpsteer2018-06-13 00:41

    Damn...... Ed

  2. #2John C.2018-06-14 10:22

    That's beautiful! Are they going to be able to sell it after harvest?

  3. #3Truck Shop2018-06-14 21:13

    That's a very good question, 98% of the grain grown around here which is mostly soft white is export. Asia buys most all of it. So farmers around here are pretty nervous and not to happy about the things on the national scale. They are not waving the red, white and blue right now. The morning cafe get together for coffee with the local farmers is fairly glum from what I understand. I don't have time for that round table B.S.. Truck Shop

  4. #4John C.2018-06-14 23:21

    Last time I went to Spokane I saw the jumbo piles covered next to the elevators between Mosses Lake and Sprague.

  5. #5gruntscoreboard2018-06-15 01:31

    That harvest looks good!

  6. #6Queenslander2018-06-19 23:35

    You could send some over this way. Following very poor winter and summer crops across most of the country, feed grain stocks are as dire as anyone has ever seen. Planting for this years winter crop should be underway now, but only a tiny fraction of the area has received enough rainfall and the forecast doesn’t look good. Grain is being imported from the UK, but with strict end user protocols in place to prevent weed/disease issues. There are some grain stocks on the west coast, but it has to be shipped around to the east at a similar cost to the UK product.

  7. #7still learn'n2018-06-20 16:05

    Wheat around here didn't do well this year heard mostly 20-40 bpa

  8. #8old-iron-habit2018-06-21 22:08

    Listened to the farm report today. They said that the worlds wheat crop is so poor this year that the U.S. wheat should sell well to Asia as they have no where else to buy. While I certainly don't wish any hardships on our Aussie friends, I hope they are right.

  9. #9Mother Deuce2018-06-22 03:33

    Used to spend harvest back in the day helping out with harvest in the Horse Heavens. Saw some amazing yields some years.

  10. #10cubanator2018-06-22 09:07

    Horse Heavens by Benton City?

  11. #11td25c2018-06-22 22:53

    Way I look at it is if ya aint happy with something then stop doing it . Can you imagine if the President called all the Farmers out & said " hey boy's … We running short on cash and need you fellers to pay back the last 5 years of subsidies the Red White & Blue been paying you ? " That would sure shake the fellers up at the BS coffee round table . . LOL !

  12. #12RZucker2018-06-23 13:17

    I have a good friend that has 6,000 acres up there between highway 221 and 395, the last few years haven't been too great up there. The driest place in the world that can still grow dryland wheat. 7" of rain annually is the average. The are farms irrigated from the Columbia river up to a mile south of Sellards road now. I hauled a lot of grain out of that area in the early 80's.

  13. #13RZucker2018-06-23 13:18

    You in that area?

  14. #14cubanator2018-06-23 13:41

    Not to far from it...

  15. #15Mother Deuce2018-06-23 18:20

    Yes just up McBee grade to the top and hook a right on county well.

  16. #16Mother Deuce2018-06-23 18:26

    I remember when the Mun/Mund? project started with the circles up there. Nobody really was taking it to seriously then. Sellards Rd really? Geez things really change. My friend sold about 6 years ago at 221 and County Well approx. Sure was a good time in my life.

  17. #17Mother Deuce2018-06-23 18:43

    Here is another 2 about the same time 75 or 6 somewhere in there. A Deere 6602 Hillside and the D6 when it was new. LOL they both look a little old now in light of 40 foot Gleaners and Challengers .

  18. #18cubanator2018-06-23 19:17

    Dad Grew up in Bentucky in the 60's. Foster family he lived with ran animals from land there over horse heavens to pastures in Paterson. Bordens (sp) was their last name I believe

  19. #19Mother Deuce2018-06-23 19:26

    Earl Borden is a dear friend of mine I have known him 45 years. The family place was right off 221 between Sellards and Anderson Rd. Long since sold.

  20. #20td25c2018-06-23 21:00

    Would they crop the ground every other year in the dry areas ? We have some wheat here but are on the other end of the scale at 50" rain per year . Really wetter then wheat likes .

  21. #21RZucker2018-06-23 21:01

    Hah... "Bentucky" You are a local.

  22. #22RZucker2018-06-23 21:03

    Yep, alternating crops every other year. 6000 acres is only 3000 per year.

  23. #23RZucker2018-06-23 21:05

    Did you know any of the Pearsons to the south east? they weren't far from there.

  24. #24td25c2018-06-24 00:24

    Don't worry fellers . Don will get this sorted out pretty fast , that's why he got elected . Don't need the job , but cares about the country . Need more folks like that . Don't like the count on the apple cart then flip it over & build a new one that works .

  25. #25Mother Deuce2018-06-24 05:29

    Boy the name is clanging a large bell. However all the synapses aren't hooking up.

  26. #26Mother Deuce2018-06-24 05:31

    Used to love Wolfies in Benton... makes me want to head out for burger. I could be there 35 or 40 hours easy LOL!

  27. #27RZucker2018-06-24 14:49

    They were down by Sellards and Travis. I still visit down there quite a bit.

  28. #28Truck Shop2018-06-24 21:40

    Most all of the ground around here is no-till drilled, not very many burn the stubble anymore. They cut it high and have swathers follow then bale it, most of the straw will go to Starbuck where they built a straw pulp mill. Truck Shop

  29. #29gruntscoreboard2018-06-24 22:18

    Aww that's so beautiful.

  30. #30RZucker2018-06-24 22:28

    [[/ATTACH] [ATTACH[/ATTACH] Speaking of Wheat... My other half found this at the local farmers market yesterday. I've been looking for it for a few years, It's good stuff, I've made it with everything from beef to seal meat. Really.

  31. #31cubanator2018-06-29 09:04

    Talked to Dad the other night and Earl didn't ring a bell but his foster Fathers name was Archie Borden

  32. #32Mother Deuce2018-06-29 18:04

    Hmmm... I will check it out

  33. #33RZucker2018-06-29 18:57

    Did your dad work for the Nehls? Ken Nehl and Earl Borden are good friends. I got this from a good friend that knows everybody down there.

  34. #34cubanator2018-06-29 19:04

    Not as far as I know. Worked for Shaws, Schabs, Rollingers and Austins among others in/around town. He headed up here for College after high school in '71. Property owners up top were Fred and Delores Millimans and Archie Borden.

  35. #35RZucker2018-06-29 19:23

    I'll pass that on.

  36. #36Mother Deuce2018-06-30 05:14

    LOL! I was going to call Ken and Earl. Earl's Dad was Vern. There are 7 brothers and sisters.

  37. #37Mother Deuce2018-06-30 05:31

    Along with Rita, Dutch, Earl and Linda I was at Ken's

  38. #38Mother Deuce2018-06-30 16:05

    Talked to Earl about an hour ago and we screwed back the clock about 45 years. Wasn't Vern's family cubanator is refering to.

  39. #39Truck Shop2018-07-13 20:14

    Started harvesting the grain around our shop. Truck Shop

  40. #40RZucker2018-07-13 23:06

    Some of ours up here is starting, still a bit early. Just heard from the sister in law that there is a huge wheatfield fire out on the Warden-Ruff road, Hay truck on fire started it.

  41. #41Bumpsteer2018-07-14 00:06

    Wheat harvest is in high gear here.... Ed

  42. #42Mother Deuce2018-07-14 04:28

    Wow seems like a lot less belts and a lot more hoses, valves and checks then there used to be.

  43. #43cubanator2018-07-14 10:48

    Truck Shop. I see trees on those hills in the background. Where abouts are you if you don't mind me asking?

  44. #44Truck Shop2018-07-14 18:47

    Blue Mountains in the back ground our shop is located at the Walla Walla Airport. Truck Shop

  45. #45hvy 1ton2018-07-14 19:53

    I don't know about Deere combines, but CIH combines are down to 3 belts. Rethresher, Clean grain elevator, and the bubble up auger. Everything else is hydraulic motors and gear boxes.

  46. #46RZucker2018-07-16 00:51

    I remember the old JD hillside 95's, when you tried to go up a hill that was too steep the ground drive belts would make a "Scrootch" sound and you had to shift down a gear in the main transmission and hope you made it to the top. Wow, that was a century ago.