Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wheel loader tire removal

mattyt1984 · 2019-08-05 22:21

I have a FR 20 loader with a leaking tire I want to tube as it is too big of a leak for a plug. I cannot get the bead to pop on the inside. The tire guy has tried a slide hammer for hours with no success. Any ideas? Tire is a26.5 x 25

Replies9
  1. #1Jonas3022019-08-05 22:55

    Hydraulic bead breaker probably need to find a tire guy that works on bigger tires If the hole is to big to properly repair from inside a tube will often be a waste of money

  2. #2Nige2019-08-06 05:24

    ▲▲▲▲▲▲ Wot he said...…… I wouldn't like to try to break the bead on a 26.5 using only a slide hammer.

  3. #3Vetech632019-08-06 07:14

    That's why there are big knuckle boom cranes on tire trucks.

  4. #4fast_st2019-08-06 08:04

    I'd use a bottle jack from the inside, or a backhoe and a block of wood. I reconditioned a set of loader wheels, used 4 coats of valspar gray paint with hardener on the inside, I doubt the tires will ever be totally stuck to the rims, I'll find out in a couple years. make a good surface and plenty of rim butter to get it to slide on sweet.

  5. #5John C.2019-08-08 10:53

    It costs what it costs to run machines. If you can't afford to hire a tire guy and you can't afford to have the minimum amount of tooling to work on tires, you really can't afford to be in this business.

  6. #6fast_st2019-08-08 11:07

    Sounded like the 'hired tire guy' was woefully unprepared or totally unresourceful!

  7. #7tbone14712019-08-09 17:48

    Get a tire guy with a boom truck. Dont even waste time with someone that doesnt have 1. It is difficult spending $ on tires. We have a machine that is worth about 30k. In the oast 4 months we have put 3 tires on it at 4000 each. Our tire guy has them done in an hr and something like that is dangerous. We generally do the 20.5 in house but honestly id rather let them do it. Ever seen a lock ring break?

  8. #8Mother Deuce2019-08-09 19:21

    A painful but true evaluation.

  9. #9Bls repair2019-08-10 16:27

    Many people have been killed by the lock ring blowing off . Not just first timers,but also very experienced people .