Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

When is a crane, not a crane… cco wise?

stumpjumper83 ยท 2013-08-14 18:26

Is there a min. boom length for a crane to be a crane under the cco laws? For instance a 100 ton 54' squirt boom crawler. Or a pipeline side boom?

Replies12
  1. #1Dualie2013-08-21 00:09

    no boom length even capacity doesn't matter. i think a pipeline sideboom isn't a crane, also when holding a pile driving rig its not a crane.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2013-08-21 03:30

    I thought there was a capacity limit of somewhere around 6,000 or 8,000 lbs, to keep most mechanics from running afoul of the law with their service trucks. I could be wrong though. Anyone know for sure?

  3. #3Tiny2013-08-21 22:45

    from the NCCCO site ; http://www.nccco.org/nccco/certific...e-truck-crane-operator/certification-policies

  4. #4itsme17382013-11-23 17:56

    if it has a hook its a crane

  5. #5Knocker of rock2013-11-24 11:24

    NCCC rg is a trade organization, and doesn't have the force of law. Wrongo. Nope. The answer: https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=82 Pay particular attention to 1926.1427(a)(3)

  6. #6Lee (MN)2013-11-28 18:24

    I am a mechanic, and have a 10,000 lb. crane on my truck and need no cert.. If you are using it to service equipment or setting an engine or final no cco is required, but if a job foreman askes me to lift a bundle of rebar or any piece of construction material on the same site and in the same place then I need a CCO. Does this make any sense, no,,,,For other reasons I have a CCO, I think the CCO is a good Idea, but in turn has put a lot of booksmart people in cranes that are not the best operators. I do not remember but I think in 2014 the weight goes down to 2000 lbs.. MHO, Lee

  7. #7CM19952013-11-28 20:08

    So when I put a hook on the bucket of a 320 to lay storm pipe it becomes a crane?

  8. #8Knocker of rock2013-11-28 21:53

    When you fix the crane, you are under CFR 1910. When you pick a bundle of bar, you are under 1926.

  9. #9redneckchevy92013-12-11 16:03

    Check this link out regarding the weight for 2014 http://www.equipmentworld.com/you-ma...d-not-know-it/

  10. #10Buckethead2013-12-25 19:44

    You would have to ask the state where you live, but here it's only a crane if it has a load line that can be raised and lowered, a hoe is not a crane and neither is a loader. The asked about CCO certification, unless NCCCO changed it, it's only for cranes, not excavator or forklift.

  11. #11Buckethead2013-12-25 19:47

    The original poster asked about CCO, not about laws.

  12. #12RocketScott2013-12-26 22:24

    Depends on where you opperate. I have a boom truck that just went out of being certified. I don't have a crane card to opperate it. I don't have a CDL to drive it. However, as long as I am not endangering anyone in WA sate that pays into L&I (our version of osha) I can do whatever I want with it on private property. Right or wrong doesn't matter, you need to figure out what your state requirments are.